TRIPLEXED CABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What are the pros cons are running single conductor large size cable or a triplexed cable? DOes it make a difference if it were 15kv? Thanks.

Strife

The pro is having only one reel. Obviously much easier to feed from one reel than 4 separate ones.
The con? It can get a PRETTY big wheel when you have 3-4 conductors. And PRETTY HEAVY if you're pulling copper.
The triplexed works good if you have equipment. And I don't mean just a tugger, I'm talking having rollers and auto feeders. If you use manual labor the size of the reel (depending on the length, might offset the pros.
One more pro would be easier pull, obviously the triplexed will have lesser overall diameter and less likely to cross over than 4 individual conductors.

What are the pros cons are running single conductor large size cable or a triplexed cable? DOes it make a difference if it were 15kv? Thanks.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

you want to pull triplexed 15 kv cable? why, on earth? how many pulls you making, and like was said, you ever seen what the spool something like this comes on?

what a PITA, in my not so humble opinion.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The pro is having only one reel. Obviously much easier to feed from one reel than 4 separate ones.
The con? It can get a PRETTY big wheel when you have 3-4 conductors. And PRETTY HEAVY if you're pulling copper.
The triplexed works good if you have equipment. And I don't mean just a tugger, I'm talking having rollers and auto feeders. If you use manual labor the size of the reel (depending on the length, might offset the pros.
One more pro would be easier pull, obviously the triplexed will have lesser overall diameter and less likely to cross over than 4 individual conductors.

Thanks

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
you want to pull triplexed 15 kv cable? why, on earth? how many pulls you making, and like was said, you ever seen what the spool something like this comes on?

what a PITA, in my not so humble opinion.

So when would it be beneficial to use triplexes cable? Overhead runs?

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
We have ordered triplexed single conductors for long pulls when the potential for jamming in the raceway was high. Like Strife stated they are less likely to cross over and get stuck.

masterinbama

I use it in cable tray quite often. Saves on labor going through and grouping runs after the pull.

Pulled some 500MCM 15kv triplexed at a local plant. At close to 8 pounds per foot it was a booger.

Status
Not open for further replies.