Energy Code Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NC has adopted the new energy code but I am not sure when they will start enforcing things. Here is what will be required. Arlington makes them for old the switch boxes also. Here is the web page pdf

ry%3D480

stickboy1375

I don't believe in tight houses myself, the only result i've seen is bad air qualities and mold because the house was so tight... let the house breath..just saying....

ceb58

Saw an ad on TV the other day for energy saving gaskets for receptacles. The only problem was they were installing the gaskets on interior walls.

stickboy1375
I don't believe in tight houses myself, the only result i've seen is bad air qualities and mold because the house was so tight... let the house breath..just saying....​

I agree. Growing up in the country our house wasn't tight and had very little insulation. Just like every one else. You hardly ever were sick and there were no allergies.

stickboy1375

Saw an ad on TV the other day for energy saving gaskets for receptacles. The only problem was they were installing the gaskets on interior walls.

I agree. Growing up in the country our house wasn't tight and had very little insulation. Just like every one else. You hardly ever were sick and there were no allergies.

Absolutely...

Gac66610

They are making houses so tight around here, HVAC has to bring outside air into the return side of trunk line, C02 detectors are already in use in one jurisdiction here

Add : should probably say electric boxes do not have gaskets ... yet

Last edited:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Just wait, it's coming, like it or not.

Just wait, it's coming, like it or not.

Oh boy are you all in for a fun surprize. California has a requirement for each building to meet an "energy budget". This requires each building have calculations run that include everything from the window rating and type, to is the heating ducts in the attic or under the floor. How much % of wall space is windows, what direction the walls face, North,west etc. On a house it is usually a two page document. The best part is it can only be calculated on "proprietory software", so you can't do it yourself. They also have manditory provistions that must be met. These include: that 50% of all wattage of kitchen lighting be "high efficacy"(that means if you want one incandescent fixture that can take upto 100 watts, you need 100 watts of LED or fluorescent) not always easy to do. The two books that the state supplies on the subject are bigger than the NEC.

I'm guessing that you are right behind us in being forced to follow this same requirements, "green, green, green". Most of the local inspectors feel like they are being forced to become the "Light bulb police". I took a 16 week class on the new mandates and in general they are good because they make the houses energy efficiant and less costly to run over a years time.

You are correct about making houses "to tight", one of the provisions of the energy code is an exhaust fan running at all times, to improve indoor air quallity. In a house of 3500sq. ft. we need a 110cfm fan running at all times. the advantage is an existing bathfan can quallify as long as you lable the switch,"do not turn off".

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You are correct about making houses "to tight", one of the provisions of the energy code is an exhaust fan running at all times, to improve indoor air quallity. In a house of 3500sq. ft. we need a 110cfm fan running at all times. the advantage is an existing bathfan can quallify as long as you lable the switch,"do not turn off".

Where does the fresh air come from if the house is tight? Isn't there a heat recovery system installed?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Where does the fresh air come from if the house is tight? Isn't there a heat recovery system installed?

all houses are going to leak a little, the fan just adds negitive pressure. They do also have a test for "how tight the house is" they use a blower door and check the pressure in the house.

Gac66610

NC has adopted the new energy code but I am not sure when they will start enforcing things. Here is what will be required. Arlington makes them for old the switch boxes also. Here is the web page pdf

ry%3D480

the only problem i see with the gaskets are sheetrockers using their roto zips and chewing them up
they say they dont penetrate our boxes, so how are my wires getting chewed up

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I like my leaky, made in '72 home! However, I burn wood and I don't think CA would like that too much either!

In the Bay Area they have "no burn days", and good luck trying to get a permit to put in a real wood burning fireplace. :sick: "you need to be green".

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
In the Bay Area they have "no burn days", and good luck trying to get a permit to put in a real wood burning fireplace. :sick: "you need to be green".

Does the fire deportment come by and put out your fireplace fire if you started one on a no burn day?........:lol::roll::slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.