Confusion with SE/USE/SER/SEU

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I changed the service at my house, I used pvc thinking its a better install than the seu. I still think it is with one exception, downed lines usually destroy the hub and even the meter. Where as the seu can most times be refastened with just new straps. I have got a lot of trees,and a seu setup waiting to go.

stickboy1375

When I changed the service at my house, I used pvc thinking its a better install than the seu. I still think it is with one exception, downed lines usually destroy the hub and even the meter. Where as the seu can most times be refastened with just new straps. I have got a lot of trees,and a seu setup waiting to go.

oh yeah, best part of using SEU! :)

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, why? But in all honesty, POCO does not allow the GEC to enter the meter around here....

We have one around here that wants a ground rod near the meter and the GEC to it run directly to the meter.

Great reason to put it underground, then the tree branches can fall all they want you don't lose power.

Wilg

Vast majority of residential services done this way here too...central VA. No issues with physical damage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree, PVC and RMC are pretty ugly compared to SEU...
I think it is what you are used to. Around here we think se cable looks funky but all that doesn't matter as it is compliant. I have learned every area has their style and you basically get used to a certain way. I hate it when wires are run as he crow flies in crawl spaces but to each his own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :p

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, PVC and RMC are pretty ugly compared to SEU...

Not having an overhead drop, and mast, raceway or cable running all the way up side of house looks even better, put it in the ground:happyyes:. Most cases you only have 4-5 feet of raceway from meter to grade level.

My house doesn't have a meter on the house and service entrance pokes up through basement floor and into panel on an interior wall. No ugly outside raceway or cable at all.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Underground certainly looks better but costs much more to install especially as an upgrade. It also means that you need a pole at the edge of your property or have to pay to install one which is even more expensive. :)

kwired

Electron manager
Underground certainly looks better but costs much more to install especially as an upgrade. It also means that you need a pole at the edge of your property or have to pay to install one which is even more expensive. :)

So an overhead drop just connects to a sky hook?:lol:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Our town has an ordinance that states if you upgrade the service then you have to go underground. What an expense that is at times when rock wall, concrete etc are involved.

kwired

Electron manager
Our town has an ordinance that states if you upgrade the service then you have to go underground. What an expense that is at times when rock wall, concrete etc are involved.

There is one around here that is same way. It started a few years ago when we had major ice storms two years in a row that caused them a lot of expense putting service drops back up. There was not too much problem with primary lines - mostly tree branches falling on service drops. My opinion they should be making customers remove threatening trees or put service underground, as they have taken this wanting anything new underground thing too far. Even downtown businesses that want a new service or an upgrade have to go underground - many of them have pavement everywhere in the alleys and there will never be a problem with a tree falling on a service drop as there is no trees in these alleys:rant: Had one where the pole was a total of 5 feet from the meter location on the building - they still wanted 36 inch radius elbows for the lateral because it is their standard:roll:

stickboy1375

Not having an overhead drop, and mast, raceway or cable running all the way up side of house looks even better, put it in the ground:happyyes:. Most cases you only have 4-5 feet of raceway from meter to grade level.

My house doesn't have a meter on the house and service entrance pokes up through basement floor and into panel on an interior wall. No ugly outside raceway or cable at all.

I don't always do overhead services, but when I do, I like to use SEU... LMAO....

Status
Not open for further replies.