UL no longer classifies Tempcovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcode

FYI

The tempcover product (yellow plastic with magnets to cover a panelboard) is no longer is classified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL). The classification QEWI was eliminated in September of 2010. See the 2011 White Book.

The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) has taken a formal position that no product, except the full metal dead-front supplied by the manufacturer is permitted on a panelboard that is energized.

The manufacturer of this product still markets it as being UL classified. It is not.

There were favorable letters of interpretation written by OSHA only because the product was classified by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL), which was UL. That classification has been eliminated. The basis for the letters of interpretation is gone.

This could cause serious issues for contractors using this product to cover an energized panelboard.

iwire

Staff member
We never used it, it was obviously not listed as an accessory from the panel makers.

But thanks for posting this info for those that might be using it.

iwire

Staff member
I guess y'all ain't gonna like my cardboard and duct tape then....:angel:

NMCableMess11.jpg

3cef014c.jpg

20dbd2e6.jpg

renosteinke

Wonderful ... now what are we supposed to do?

I don't mean for energized panels ... I mean for un-energized panels.

Did not this forum discuss these covers, insisting that OSHA required the use of the classified covers to cover dead panel, whose covers were removed for safekeeping during construction / protection during drywall, painting, and texturing operations, etc?

On the 'plus' side, I suppose that's one less manufacturer able to twist code to carve out a new market for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.