4 11/16 square box for RGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is there a 4 11/16 box with hubs that can be used with RGS conduit? Or what would be the equal? I guess you can thread the RGS and use double locknuts but that is more labor intensive. Thanks

What I would like to ask is what option are there for small junction boxes with RGS

Last edited:

stickboy1375

Is there a 4 11/16 box with hubs that can be used with RGS conduit? Or what would be the equal? I guess you can thread the RGS and use double locknuts but that is more labor intensive. Thanks

You can always buy threadless connectors. But I guarantee, two locknuts is cheaper. :) Just out of curiosity, how would hubs save you from still having to thread RGS?

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
As has ben stated here "Field experience would enlighten Horsegoer a great deal" if he can

talk the boss in to working with his tools.

Horsegoer has already proven without a doubt he would rather sit back and ask questions on here than take one of the many job offers he's had for some real world field experience.

I can't imagine estimating electrical work with so little knowledge on how the final product actually comes together. And I can't imagine a company keeping someone like him on....it just doesn't make sense. Financially and otherwise.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Horsegoer has already proven without a doubt he would rather sit back and ask questions on here than take one of the many job offers he's had for some real world field experience.

I can't imagine estimating electrical work with so little knowledge on how the final product actually comes together. And I can't imagine a company keeping someone like him on....it just doesn't make sense. Financially and otherwise.

I dig my own grave.....I do pull the trigger way to quick with my questions instead of trying to investigate on my own but I'm an impatient guy. But your an ........ anyway

Last edited:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I think this is a little harsh. Many of the questions he has asked, were things I struggled with when I first started estimating (after 20 years experience in the field) granted, I was able to resolve many of them on my own because or that experience but, I would have liked to utilize a forum like this to validate me at times. I have known companies that use "junior" estimators with lottle or no knowledge of what they are doing to count and enter data. For example "Palmbay" just posted that he utilizes office personnel to enter data in his estimating program on another thread. Perhaps Horsegoer is being used for slave labor, but he is using this forum to further his knowledge so he can grow and become valuable in the future.

I will stick my neck out here and say that, while I find some of his questions less than expert, many of them have generated interesting discussions and the resulting threads are often imformative and entertaining.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks!! Like I said a lot of my questions are for CLARITY & CONFIRMATION....but I admit they are hasty.

Just keep them coming, we're all here to learn and exchange ideas.

One issue with hubbed boxes is once they're mounted you cannot spin an elbow into the hub. There are some advantages to locknuts and bushings when running RMC.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I dig my own grave.....I do pull the trigger way to quick with my questions instead of trying to investigate on my own but I'm an impatient guy. But your an ........ anyway

Why? Because I called it like I see it and I said something about it? That makes me the bad guy?

I think this is a little harsh. Many of the questions he has asked, were things I struggled with when I first started estimating (after 20 years experience in the field) granted, I was able to resolve many of them on my own because or that experience but, I would have liked to utilize a forum like this to validate me at times. I have known companies that use "junior" estimators with lottle or no knowledge of what they are doing to count and enter data. For example "Palmbay" just posted that he utilizes office personnel to enter data in his estimating program on another thread. Perhaps Horsegoer is being used for slave labor, but he is using this forum to further his knowledge so he can grow and become valuable in the future.

I will stick my neck out here and say that, while I find some of his questions less than expert, many of them have generated interesting discussions and the resulting threads are often imformative and entertaining.

I can understand where you're coming from Strathead. We were all new once, it wasn't that long ago for me, and I haven't forgotten it. I do agree his posts create discussions and I'm sure they answer questions other members may have had. I guess what gets me is it seems like this forum is crutch for him.

Like they say, what would he or his company have done before the internet and this forum?

The guy asks a lot of basic questions, a lot of which an apprentice with field experience could answer. He wants everyone to help him but he can't help himself. People offer jobs and it seems like to me, he says "nawww, it's easier to ask questions from a computer, then buckle down, go to work for someone else for a while and learn this stuff myself."

I'll bow out of this thread now and leave you guys to discussing that a stamped steel box does not come with hubs.....

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Just keep them coming, we're all here to learn and exchange ideas.

One issue with hubbed boxes is once they're mounted you cannot spin an elbow into the hub. There are some advantages to locknuts and bushings when running RMC.
Spec not withstanding, what type of j-box would you use for 3/4" & 1" RGS?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Why? Because I called it like I see it and I said something about it? That makes me the bad guy?

I can understand where you're coming from Strathead. We were all new once, it wasn't that long ago for me, and I haven't forgotten it. I do agree his posts create discussions and I'm sure they answer questions other members may have had. I guess what gets me is it seems like this forum is crutch for him.

Like they say, what would he or his company have done before the internet and this forum?

The guy asks a lot of basic questions, a lot of which an apprentice with field experience could answer. He wants everyone to help him but he can't help himself. People offer jobs and it seems like to me, he says "nawww, it's easier to ask questions from a computer, then buckle down, go to work for someone else for a while and learn this stuff myself."

I'll bow out of this thread now and leave you guys to discussing that a stamped steel box does not come with hubs.....

I sense your frustration and hope you understand that I responded to you respectfully. Sorry Horsegoer, but I do feel that this particular question is probably the worst one you have asked. I see an additional post by you and will back up Cow here and tell you to ask any of your 2nd year apprentices working for the Company for this answer. They should all know!

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

Just so you know buddy ole pal... I bust my a$% and but my time in. I'm at work at 7 at don't leave until at least 5 everyday. I go home and read up on electrical as often as I can. So I by no means look for the easy way out and look for OTHERS TO DO MY work. You have a nice day.... I guess there are some people in this world like you....maybe unhappy, resentful or whatever.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Spec not withstanding, what type of j-box would you use for 3/4" & 1" RGS?

Square-Box-3LN24_AS01.JPG

renosteinke

Since everyone has already had so much fun flaming the OP .... don't think I've ever seen that here before ... I'll post a rough draft to my future book "Rigid for Dummies." :)

"The threads on rigid conduit are there to fool you. They don't usually thread in tight like plumbing pipe. While you might find hubbed boxes surface mounted in industrial locations, the usual way is to use a box with holes in it. The connection is made using a pair of locknuts and a bushing. The usual box is about 4" square, with the larger 4-11/16" not being used nearly as often. (Apprentices spend a lot of time learning to make holes).

"It is also common to support the pipe with some manner of clamp that holds the pipe about 3/4" off the surface. This is so you don't have to make a little 'offset' bend at each box.

"Fittings are available that attach to pipe without the need for threading the pipe, but these fittings are rather expensive, and are generally avoided."

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Since everyone has already had so much fun flaming the OP .... don't think I've ever seen that here before ... I'll post a rough draft to my future book "Rigid for Dummies." :)

"The threads on rigid conduit are there to fool you. They don't usually thread in tight like plumbing pipe. While you might find hubbed boxes surface mounted in industrial locations, the usual way is to use a box with holes in it. The connection is made using a pair of locknuts and a bushing. The usual box is about 4" square, with the larger 4-11/16" not being used nearly as often. (Apprentices spend a lot of time learning to make holes).

"It is also common to support the pipe with some manner of clamp that holds the pipe about 3/4" off the surface. This is so you don't have to make a little 'offset' bend at each box.

"Fittings are available that attach to pipe without the need for threading the pipe, but these fittings are rather expensive, and are generally avoided."

So the threaded portion just goes into the box and you use double locknut?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Status
Not open for further replies.