Overhead Service Point of Attatchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty B.

While this is not so much a code question, I feel this is the best forum to ask it.
Where the neutral wire attatches(wraps around) to the insulator at the Point of Attatchment to the structure for the service drop conductors, there are tension clips/connectors made for the pupose of reconnecting this attatchment if the neutral wire is broken without having to re-string the conductors from the utility pole.
My question is: What are these connectors called? (Trade name or brand name)?

Last edited:

Scotty B.

I am the electrician doing the work. I have simply never used one before and don't know the name for them.
Thanks Hv&Lv, but I believe what I am looking for might be a bit different. Can those be used as a support along a span, or are they only designed for dead ending? I am trying to support a span of overhead service cable(SE) strung horizontally through the woods and supported by insulators screwed into the trees.

Last edited by a moderator:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You want a guy-grip dead end or false end:

mdeadends.jpg

http://www.marathonbroadband.com/guy-grip-deadend---false-deadends/details or

http://www.tvcinc.com/products_details_print.aspx?product_id=103

resistance

Sorry Resistance I can understand where you're coming from, but if you know so much about these products then why didn't you just give him the answer?

I understood the question the way Hv did!!!
Hope you are there when i have a question. Seem most are mute?specifically some of the moderators.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My thanks to both of you for adult behavior. All of us occasionally post something a but to caustic or overreact to a post.
The sad situation is when that grows legs and runs. That does not appear to be the case here and kudos to both of you.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I am the electrician doing the work, I have simply never used one before and don't know the name for them.
Thanks Hv&Lv, but I believe what I am looking for might be a bit different. Can those be used as a support along a span, or are they only designed for dead ending? I am trying to support a span of overhead service cable(SE) strung horizontally through the woods and supported by insulators screwed into the trees.

Yes, they can be installed anywhere along the span. We often use them in midspan, just use two of them and connect on either side of the insulator. So can the ones shown by Infinity. they just require more neutral length and are harder to tie on.

Now for a question. Will this installation be in violation of 225.26, 230.10 or 590.4(J)? A little too early for Christmas lights, eh? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

resistance

Yes, they can be installed anywhere along the span. We often use them in midspan, just use two of them and connect on either side of the insulator. So can the ones shown by Infinity. they just require more neutral length and are harder to tie on.

Now for a question. Will this installation be in violation of 225.26, 230.10 or 590.4(J)? A little too early for Christmas lights, eh? :p
I was thinking about one of the sections (225.26) myself, but got side tracked. Good points in my view.

Scotty B.

Yes, I agree that this is in violation of 225.26. But fortunately, in the northwoods of WI, there are no inspections. This is an existing installation where the electrician that installed it just used bare triplex strands to tie the conductors to the insulators, and over the winter, the aluminum strands broke. I am simply re-attaching the span to the insulators, and trying to make it as safe(and code-compliant) as possible. Thanks for the info guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.