Garage at a Residense with a Paint Booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Had a guy ask me for a ballpark estimate on wiring a 30x30 garage he is having built. He mentioned putting in a paint booth. If he does, and tells the building inspector, I think the booth and boundry area would be a classified area.
I've never had to deal with any of that. What would be required for the booth, such as lights, switches, etc?

jumper

Is this a commercial paint booth or a hobby one?

A commercial one is gonna involve special lights, an exhaust systems, and such?

This falls under article 516 I believe.

Last edited:

rcarroll

Had a guy ask me for a ballpark estimate on wiring a 30x30 garage he is having built. He mentioned putting in a paint booth. If he does, and tells the building inspector, I think the booth and boundry area would be a classified area.
I've never had to deal with any of that. What would be required for the booth, such as lights, switches, etc?
I see a BIG RED FLAG! Ball park estimate, IF he tells the building inspector?
You may want to reconsider. JMHO
Good luck

kwired

Electron manager
I would have to tell him that I must follow applicable code that applies - likely Art 516 for the booth itself, depending on the conditions there could be other classified areas, so we need to know exactly what will be there to get a good price. Might also want to mention that zoning laws may not allow this type of installation on residential property, and that he may also want to talk to his insurance company before installing this, but if he is willing you can connect it but it will be done according to codes. If he is actually planning on purchasing a listed paint booth he probably knows what kind of expense may be involved. If he is planning to build one - he will be in for suprise when he finds out price of explosion proof equipment. Many of these people think 500 watt halogen lamps with gasketed housing is acceptable for this:(

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I see a BIG RED FLAG! Ball park estimate, IF he tells the building inspector?
You may want to reconsider. JMHO
Good luck

I don't really see a red flag. I was at the guys house for another reason and he ask me about the garage. It was a quick look at the area and asked "about" what it would cost. I think he is just getting some idea of what is going to have to spend. As far as the part about telling the inspector, I don't know how he listed his permit for the building. I have a lot more info to get before I even attempt to give him a price. It didn't dawn on me about the paint booth until I had already left.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Make sure you get a set of plans before giving a ballpark estimate on the wiring..

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What it comes down to: is this a real spray booth?

Painting cars with explosive paints or a guy using a Wagner sprayer with latex paint for DIY projects.

Big difference.

I have a call in to him, waiting on him to call back. But I'm pretty sure it will be a "real spray booth." He first just said garage, then he mentioned body work, then air compressor for sprayer. I'm slow and I didn't realize he was talking about a paint booth until after my quick conversation with him.

jumper

I have a call in to him, waiting on him to call back. But I'm pretty sure it will be a "real spray booth." He first just said garage, then he mentioned body work, then air compressor for sprayer. I'm slow and I didn't realize he was talking about a paint booth until after my quick conversation with him.

Sounds like a side operation. Personally, I would be very careful.

A real spray booth is likely to cost more then that the garage. The guy may just be trying to cobble something together and I would say that you want no part of that.

Offer to run a sub-panel and let the booth installer take responsibility.

I would limit your responsibility to providing a nearby power supply.

If things go "boom", you want no part of the liability.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Be advised that the EPA has made some DRASTIC changes to the automotive paint world. In a few years, ALL automotive paint will be water based and require special training just to get it to look right. Until then, every drop of solvent must be accounted for. I would advise your customer to get boned up on these changes before he decides on the design of the booth. In some areas it is illegal vent solvents into the air no matter who you are.

Just a heads up. A friend of mine works at a body shop and when he painted my Harley he told me about all the new laws and stuff.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

A real spray booth is likely to cost more then that the garage. The guy may just be trying to cobble something together and I would say that you want no part of that.

Realistically, there is little he can do to reduce his liability if things go boom. He has already posted on the Internet that he knows about the spray booth. In any case, if something bad goes wrong down the road, he will be sued. Does not matter whether he wired something up or just provided power to the building. Even if he was completely unaware of the spray booth issue he will get sued. That is just the way it is and why you buy liability insurance.

The best bet is to just get the particulars and once you know what is actually involved, you can tell the guy what it will cost and go from there. Random speculation on what may or may not be involved is not going to be productive.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

it *could* be a classified area, depending on what is sprayed.
waterborne urethane, for example is nonflammable.
no classification.
waterborne epoxies, may or may not be, have to look at the
specific product MSDS.

laquer based products... would be a class 1 division 1 i believe.

spraying ANYTHING in the peoples republic of SCAQMD* is not
even against the law.... they just shoot you on sight. you aren't
even cited for an infraction, just buried in a shallow unmarked
grave. i'm not even sure exhaling is permitted anymore...

here is the section of the code that applies:

(B) Class I or Class II, Division 1 Locations. The following spaces
shall be considered Class I, Division 1, or Class I, Zone 1, or
Class II, Division 1 locations, as applicable:
(1) The interior of spray booths and rooms except as specifically provided in 516.3(D).
(2) The interior of exhaust ducts.
(3) Any area in the direct path of spray operations.

*SCAQMD = southern california air quality management disctrict

Last edited:

Gac66610

I had a similar thread last month about a spray booth
not sure who it was but i was told to get NFPA 33, as it deals with the booths

i also did a google search for explosion proof fixtures .... yeah very costly, and i knew he didnt have that kind of money
they had talked to insurance dont think they liked the answer they got from them, hopefully its out of mind now
have not heard anything

kwired

Electron manager

Even in a legallay zoned and operating body shop the paint booth may be worth as much or more than the building alone. The booth needs a cover over it to protect it from the elements at the very least to help maintain its value and functionality, building works pretty good:happyyes:

jumper

Even in a legallay zoned and operating body shop the paint booth may be worth as much or more than the building alone. The booth needs a cover over it to protect it from the elements at the very least to help maintain its value and functionality, building works pretty good:happyyes:

no argument, I am only pointing out the hazards to Bill.:)

I would walk if not a regular customer who can pay.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Talked with the guy more about what is going on. I guess I was putting more into the words he used than he meant. He assured me he is not putting in a spray booth. He is going to do some fabrication stuff, but not full body work. The compressor would be for air tools. He said even if he painted something, it would be for himself and would do it outdoors.

I did look up some paint booths just for curiosity, and the one's I saw started at $5000 and went up to 20 & 30,000.

I can only take his word for it. Like all our installs, we can't prevent what a H.O. might plug into them in the future. I explained all the codes and issues with insurance co. etc. He said not to worry, he wasn't going to be running a paint & body shop.

Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.