50 Most Common NEC Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICK NAPIER

I was unable to locate a powerpoint presentation I found on internet on this topic so I have decided to create my own. I am asking all you inspectors, contractors, engineeers or anyone else with an opinion what are the 50 Most Common NEC Violations? These could be plan review or in the field violations. If you have any pictures showing an example even better. Thanks for your help.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
right now, around here at least:

1) 210.4 (B) & (D)
2) 406.8(B)(1)
3) 300.11(A)(2)
4) 110.12(A)
5) 1006.3 of the UBC

I'm sure I'll think of more later.:happyyes:

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Panels with transformers below them
Kitchen appliances being hardwired not in line-of-sight from panel with no disconnect switch
Plug-and-cord equipment in hung ceiling

jumper

Stuff I see the most.

Knock out seals missing.

Overfilled boxes.

Non fan rated boxes.

Switches not grounded.

Improper stapling and securing cables.

Nail plates missing.

Mismatched breakers.

GFCIs missing.

Romex stripped and used in AC discos.

Pull chains in closets with exposed incandescent bulbs.

Working space of panels.

#2 AL SER to sub panels on a 100 amp breaker.

Burial depths in 300.5 shallow.

SABCs tapped for DW/disposal/ or range hood.

Furnace circuit supplying non associated loads.

Romex in underground PVC runs to out buildings.

WH discos missing.

Wrong size/type OCPD for AC unit.

Sump pumps on an extension cord.

Mislabeled panels.

and my favorite:

10/2 NM to a dryer.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
From an industrial applications point of view, 250.36(E)&(F) often have problems with both design and installation; especially if the neutral impedance isn't convieniently located (physically)near both the transformer and the first system disconnecting means or, in some cases, first overcurrent device.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Derek,
That's a list! But true.
About the wire size to the 100 amp sub panel-I'm not sure this will ever get resolved. Problem is, many AHJ's allow this but it never seems to be in writing and you never know which way the wind is blowing that day. I'll be the first to admit that it is not compliant the way the code is now writen.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
250.36(E) is the usually the proplem. "The equipment bonding jumper (the connection between the equipment grounding conductors and the grounding impedance) shall be an unspliced conductor run from the first system disconnecting means or overcurrent device to the grounded side of the grounding impedance." It isn't uncommon to simply run the jumper from the grounded side of the grounding impedance to the most convientient grounding electrode whether it is located at first system disconnecting means or overcurrent device or not.

jumper

250.36(E) is the usually the proplem. "The equipment bonding jumper (the connection between the equipment grounding conductors and the grounding impedance) shall be an unspliced conductor run from the first system disconnecting means or overcurrent device to the grounded side of the grounding impedance." It isn't uncommon to simply run the jumper from the grounded side of the grounding impedance to the most convientient grounding electrode whether it is located at first system disconnecting means or overcurrent device or not.

I guess I am a bit confused, I thought impedance was a value, not a physical identity. Interesting.

Strife

Stuff I see the most.

Knock out seals missing.

Agreed, biggest one I have noticed.

Stuff I see the most.

Overfilled boxes.

Agreed, for the most part.

Non fan rated boxes.

That has to be second best.

Stuff I see the most.
Switches not grounded

I noticed that too, but not that often, as you would imply it.

Nail plates missing.

Wouldn't that be an inspector oversight as well? I mean, I can hide MANY things from an inspector, but kickplates? hard to miss them. Don't take me wrong, I'm not defending the EC who does that here, but I think the inspector is just as resonsible.

Stuff I see the most.
Romex stripped and used in AC discos.

What is wrong with that?

#2 AL SER to sub panels on a 100 amp breaker.

What's wrong with this also? If we're talking resi. Besides this might be an old wiring that was code back then.

Romex in underground PVC runs to out buildings.

I assume you mean NON UF rommex? Otherwise I'd still agree, UF cable doesn't need conduit.

Wrong size/type OCPD for AC unit.

Hard to "wrong size" the AC's. between the MCA and MOCP the range is so great, I hardly ever seen one not being either or.

Mislabeled panels.

I agree with this, however, it's a fairy tale. Ain't gonna happen. If all electrical violations will be fixed one day, we'll still have mislabeled panels.

and my favorite:

10/2 NM to a dryer.

Why is this your favorite?
The old code allowed dryers and ovens to be wired with 3 wires. That's why(even now) they STILL sell 3 wires 30A dryer receptacles, 3 wires dryer cords, 3 wires 50A receptacles and 3 wires oven cords. I seriously doubt anyone's attempting new installations with that configurations, and definitely not that often to be a favorite.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
so it's ok like for a 3-family outside meter/dis to the panel, but strictly a sub-panel it would be 90 amps? 310-16, 75 degrees?

Yes, but it may be even worse as you may have to use the 60 degree column depending on code year and if it is in insulation. I note you quoted Table 310.16 (2008) and not 310.15 (2011) which leads me to think you are using 2008.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In a State that allows Homeowners permits, the list is endless:

Most common Residential:

Stapling (Improper or inadequate)
Lack of Nail Plates
Box Fill
Receptacle spacing
Mixed small appliance branch circuits
Too many NM in holes
No inter-system bond termination
Improper overcurrent protection
NM in damp/wet locations

Most Common Commercial:
Violations associated with MWBC
Improper use and identification of grounded and grounding conductors.
Raceway & cable support
Box Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.