anything wrong with MC AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

My supply house was stocking MC AP and are not any more because "no one was buying it" has anyone had a problem with it? It seams like a nice little labor saver.

sd4524

I thought it was awesome. Never had any problems with it. I used it for residential condos and it was great making up 3 and 4 gang boxes and saving space for dimmers. Making up a full unit full of recess lights went much faster too.

peter d

That simply proves that people are resistant to change and new products. I don't use MC cable much, but if I did on a regular basis I would definitely use the MC-Ap product.

ceb58

I love the MC-AP but the last I checked it was about $400.00 per 1000' higher than regular MC. Hard to balance out the labor savings.

raider1

Staff member
What the heck is MC AP?

It is a new type of MC cable that uses an aluminum bonding strip in conjunction with the metallic sheath to form the equipment grounding conductor and the non-health care grade stuff does not contain an insulated EGC.

I have used it and loved it. Was the same price as the standard MC cable.

HERE is a link to Southwire dealing with MCAP cable.

Chris

ceb58

It is a new type of MC cable that uses an aluminum bonding strip in conjunction with the metallic sheath to form the equipment grounding conductor and the non-health care grade stuff does not contain an insulated EGC.

Chris

I picked some HCG MC I had ordered in today. I ask the manager "I thought sheath was painted green" He said the "other" mfg's price was 30% higher for the same thing with the green paint.:rant: This was the same wire less the paint.

Strife

Ohhhh, that.
Isn't that a glorified BX Cable?
People hated BX, glorified BX..... same thing

Chris

peter d

Ohhhh, that.
Isn't that a glorified BX Cable?
People hated BX, glorified BX..... same thing

No, they are not the same thing at all. :happyno: MC-Ap has all the benefits of MC cable and does not require EGC terminations. Furthermore, it doesn't have that paper overwrap that is tedious to remove.

Strife

No, they are not the same thing at all. :happyno: MC-Ap has all the benefits of MC cable and does not require EGC terminations. Furthermore, it doesn't have that paper overwrap that is tedious to remove.

What I meant was it's a glorified BX, people hated BX, they'll hate a glorified BX as well(that's where the "same", same hate, not same as BX). Still a glorified BX.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
What I meant was it's a glorified BX, people hated BX, they'll hate a glorified BX as well(that's where the "same", same hate, not same as BX). Still a glorified BX.

How would you know if people will hate it if you've never even seen the stuff, let alone used it?

Strife

How would you know if people will hate it if you've never even seen the stuff, let alone used it?

I know the stuff, just forgot the name.

So if I never drove a Yugo I should have no right to say it's a piece of you know what? eh?
Not saying MC-AP is a piece of you know what, just making an analogy to your statement.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I know one jurisdiction that would not allow its use. They do not allow AL conductors smaller than like a #6. Since SW said it had a #12 AL conductor it was not allowed. Had it been a #12 bond wire it would have been fine.

btharmy

I know one jurisdiction that would not allow its use. They do not allow AL conductors smaller than like a #6. Since SW said it had a #12 AL conductor it was not allowed. Had it been a #12 bond wire it would have been fine.

It IS actually a bond wire. It is not a conductor that is terminated in the box, thus the labor savings. Simply use listed fittings and go.

cmreschke

Any connector that is listed for use with MC cable is fine.

Chris

Are you sure about this? The experience I had with ap was that the fittings had to be listed for it, meaning the box was stamped ap or something like that. From what I remember the fitting was a snap in type speed lock there were no screws to it at all.
Just read something that stated the fitting must be listed for mci-a I'llcheck a Def box of mc fittings and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.