anything wrong with MC AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Are you sure about this? The experience I had with ap was that the fittings had to be listed for it, meaning the box was stamped ap or something like that. From what I remember the fitting was a snap in type speed lock there were no screws to it at all.
Just read something that stated the fitting must be listed for mci-a I'llcheck a Def box of mc fittings and see.

Chris/Raider is rarely incorrect, I am sure of that.

kwired

Electron manager
I love the MC-AP but the last I checked it was about $400.00 per 1000' higher than regular MC. Hard to balance out the labor savings.

No good reason for it to be higher - it has less copper than a cable with a copper equipment ground, does have an aluminum bonding strip, and probably roughly the same amount of material composing the sheath.

I picked some HCG MC I had ordered in today. I ask the manager "I thought sheath was painted green" He said the "other" mfg's price was 30% higher for the same thing with the green paint.:rant: This was the same wire less the paint.
The green jacket does have both bonding strip and a copper equipment ground - it is intended to comply with article 517 - to be used in health care facilities where a copper equipment ground plus a raceway or cable sheath that also itself qualifies as an EGC is required.

I know that here we have to have an EG inside of each raceway, so I would think that the MC AP would not be allowed here. Maybe that is why it has been discontinued in your area...??

Been said already - MC is not a raceway it is a cable. It does include an equipment grounding means whether it is AP version or not.

Are you sure about this? The experience I had with ap was that the fittings had to be listed for it, meaning the box was stamped ap or something like that. From what I remember the fitting was a snap in type speed lock there were no screws to it at all.
Just read something that stated the fitting must be listed for mci-a I'llcheck a Def box of mc fittings and see.
Fittings need to be listed for grounding purposes - I don't think you will find any that are listed for use with MC cable that are not also listed for grounding.

sandsnow

You are correct.
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073991270&sequence=1

All the manufacturers have MCI-A connectors now. They may have some types that are not MCI-A marked.
Not so big a deal now. When MC-AP and it's predecessor MC Smart first came out there was a limited selection of listed fittings.
There are markings for outlet boxes listed for use with MC-AP.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073991686&sequence=1

kwired

Electron manager
You are correct.
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073991270&sequence=1

All the manufacturers have MCI-A connectors now. They may have some types that are not MCI-A marked.
Not so big a deal now. When MC-AP and it's predecessor MC Smart first came out there was a limited selection of listed fittings.
There are markings for outlet boxes listed for use with MC-AP.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073991686&sequence=1

After looking at your first link - I think the only time there is a question is if you are dealing with an older fitting, the fitting may not have changed one bit over the years but was not listed for a product that did not exist at the time.

The second link is not an issue of the listing of an outlet box but rather the listing of clamps within an outlet box.
A box does not have to be listed for use with MC-AP if the MC is terminated using a listed fitting.

sandsnow

After looking at your first link - I think the only time there is a question is if you are dealing with an older fitting, the fitting may not have changed one bit over the years but was not listed for a product that did not exist at the time.

The second link is not an issue of the listing of an outlet box but rather the listing of clamps within an outlet box.
A box does not have to be listed for use with MC-AP if the MC is terminated using a listed fitting.

Yeah I thought the box provided with clamp went without saying.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah I thought the box provided with clamp went without saying.

After reading what you had in the link I did learn something though. For years I have always noticed that boxes we use for NM cable always have the letters "N" and "T" stamped somewhere on the clamps. Never knew what that was for until reading that.

kwired

Electron manager
This looks too much like AC cable, I will stick to regular MC.

Other than the paper lining in AC cable it is pretty much the same thing. Only other difference after that is uses permited in the NEC. AC cable may very well become extinct down the road, unless for some reason it cost less.

Status
Not open for further replies.