Solar porduction meter Bonded

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarguyTN

In a dual metered solar PV system the grounded conductor is bonded with the ground if the meter is wired as designed. This is not a seperately derived system as i understand the definition. If I understand this right this would mean that there are two points where the grounded conductor is bonded. I have seen this done several times and even done this myself. It has passed inspection every time but i wonder if this has more to do with the inspector not understanding solar than it actually being correct.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is this meter on the line or load side of the service disconnet? I don't see the ouput of an inverter that has a grounded conductor as a SDS when you are connecting it to the building or utility neutral.

SolarguyTN

Here in TN all grid tied solar is dual metered whether it is line or load side to the utility meter. I have seen the grounded and ground bonded in the solar production meter in both line and load side applications. all of which have passed inspection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here in TN all grid tied solar is dual metered whether it is line or load side to the utility meter. I have seen the grounded and ground bonded in the solar production meter in both line and load side applications. all of which have passed inspection.
If the second meter is on the load side of the service disconnect, you can't have the neutral bonded at the meter. I don't think you will find a single phase meter can that does not have the neutral bonded to the can.

SolarguyTN

This is what I thought. This is passing inspection everywhere that i know that it is being done here in the state. I did not even consider it until recently. I guess i will be passing the neutral through the solar production meter from here on out. Thanks for commenting.

fmtjfw

If the meter has 4 prongs (4 jaw meter socket) on a 240V circuit, the meter never looks at neutral. The meter socket (if metallic) and the meter need a grounding conductor. If the meter has 5 prongs and the socket has the odd jaw connected to the grounding / neutral bar of the socket, then the meter expects a neutral. If you need to split the neutral from the grounding, you can connect the grounding conductor to the meter socket grounding bar and the wire from the 5th jaw to the neutral.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If the second meter is on the load side of the service disconnect, you can't have the neutral bonded at the meter. I don't think you will find a single phase meter can that does not have the neutral bonded to the can.

I used to think that as well. It seems that Milbank now makes this an option on many of their meter cans.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I used to think that as well. It seems that Milbank now makes this an option on many of their meter cans.

Yes there are single phase meter bases that have an optional neutral bond to the enclosure.

Moreover, on most 240V solar systems, you can simply pass the neutral through the can without landing it anywhere, so it is not necessary to supply a meter base with the option. (It might be more practical to have the option if you have large conductors and don't want to splice the neutral) At least around here no one requires a 5 prong meter for a solar production meter; I'm not sure why that would ever be a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.