Touching hot wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

touchtest.jpg

Even for 1936 that's a poor advice on how to test voltage.
They already had lamps back then. No easier and cheaper tester than two 120V lamps in series. Lights dim = 120V, lights fully bright = 240V
Basically what a wiggly does, 120V pulls the coil a little, 250 some more, etc.

sii

When I started at my current job in 1996 we had an "old-school"electrician that gave everyone else a hard time about using a meter on anything less than 480 volts. He would check the load size of a fuse by touching it and his method to see if the line side of a motor starter was live was to unlug one wire and touch it to ground.

He was very close to retirement if I remember correctly and decided to go work at a local heavy equipment sales/service dealer.

About six months later we heard that he was working in a live panel adding a circuit and somehow managed to drop a pipe-wrench across the busses. He had to have his glasses surgically removed from his face and was unable to work again. They said it sounded like a bomb going off in the shop.

John120/240

When I started at my current job in 1996 we had an "old-school"electrician that gave everyone else a hard time about using a meter on anything less than 480 volts. He would check the load size of a fuse by touching it and his method to see if the line side of a motor starter was live was to unlug one wire and touch it to ground.

He was very close to retirement if I remember correctly and decided to go work at a local heavy equipment sales/service dealer.

About six months later we heard that he was working in a live panel adding a circuit and somehow managed to drop a pipe-wrench across the busses. He had to have his glasses surgically removed from his face and was unable to work again. They said it sounded like a bomb going off in the shop.

Despite this "old school electrican" & his years of experience, Sooner or Later it's gonna get you.

Work Safe

rt66electric

cool collection

cool collection

The NFPA didn't make an NEC handbook unitl 1968 (the small green one in the center of the pix). Before that, it was Croft's AEH or Wiring for Light and Power, or the National Electrical Code Handbook by Abbott.

Handbookssmall.jpg

Have you read any of the really old "Audels handbooks" they were printed from 1900's to 1920's?? They were mostly known for printing machinist and carpenters handbooks. The books are really facinating to read. All the stuff we thought was "new" in apprentiship school was printed way back when. The charts and diagrams are the same. Alot of stuff has been forgotten since the 1920's. I have seen several collections listed on fleabay.

Nitel

In my phone co. days, I would use fingers to identify the ring (-48vdc) side of the line. Could also tell when a line was
ringing (90vac 20hz), that woke you up on a hot, sweaty day.

Status
Not open for further replies.