3M Liquid Electrical Coating can't be sold in Illinois?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have and old can of Starbrite liquid electrical tape that I just used a couple days ago. I had no idea about the ban. I just called our supplier and he said that there is a substitute coming. It's in a 15 oz. spray can. Huh??? How is that supposed to work?

It's legal in Wisconsin, but not here in Michigan. I guess they have tougher cows there or something.

Edit to add:

I found the 15 oz. product. It's not in a spray can. A case of 10 cans is over 400 bucks.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0705439

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Some states, like those mentioned, have rather strong laws about VOC levels (volatile organic compounds).

I really can't tell the difference in smell between the regular and low VOC stuff, they both stink.

A friend of mine works at an auto body shop and he said they are being forced to start using water based paint. He said it's great stuff, has to be 'finished' with a heat gun but looks fantastic and there is no smell, therefore no need for any type of breathing apparatus or special ventilation.

renosteinke

When I lived in Nevada, and had family in California, I had an 'other assigned duty' whenever I went to visit the folks: go shopping, and bring over the 'verboten' items. Outlawed items like charcoal lighter fluid, spray paint that stuck, various pesticides, etc. Even some common lubricants were sometimes an issue with the innumeralbe authorities. I expect that's a fact of life for more folks than we can know.

Sometimes the product falls afoul of a specific rule; othertimes the state places such bureaucratic hurdles in the way that firms just won't bother. And, yes, politics can enter the fray; I know at least one manufacturer who won't sell to anyone in a state unless he can sell to everyone- and not just some special class of customer.

It might not even be the product, but the lable that's an issue.

The internet is often a convenient way around these rules; after all, 'mistakes' happen.

Ironically, it was in Chicago that I first learned of Scotchkote.

Now, at this forum we often hear folks assert that something must be done 'for safety.' That's all well and good, but every one of these verdamnt rules - like the places that ban Scotchkote - had some activist conjure up a 'good' reason for the rule. We're clearly on a path lined with good intentions - where do you think we're going. and why am I in this handbasket?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
You can have them, I think the stuff is nasty, gooey, and not worth it.

Old boss said that if I need to use that crap, I have already did something wrong.

I see you have never worked underneath the back of a snow plow with broken wires feeding the lights. Tape and connectors just don't get it. Even soldered connections will fail after several years of exposure to salt, ice, dirt and water.

renosteinke

Gooey and nasty? Yup. POS lid that never seals again? Yup. Never comes out of your clothes, and get all over everything? Sure does.

Yet, there IS a role for Scotchkote. OK, so even a small 8-oz. can can last me a few years, but here are the uses:

Use it for sealing tape and wire nuts. It's much 'thinner,' so it works much better than "Liquid Electric Tape."

Typical uses for me include 'painting' the tape around splices in wet areas, or buried, to make them completely waterproof; the tape will never lose it's 'sticky' and come loose.

For direct burial, or connections in handholes, I simply dip the wire nuts completely in the stuff; works much better than the goo-filled special wire nuts.

I do a lot of sump / sewage pit work, and I swear by Scotchkote.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
You ever use scotchfil putty? I can't see that stuff leaking or coming off. I think it's pretty good stuff

clean... not gooey.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTt4XfX58TXEVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=ScotchfilPutty DS.pdf

yeah, it's great for bulking up kearneys, but i never thought of it being good for splices
that may end up underwater.... scotchkote, when wirenuts are dipped into it, fills up the
wirenuts, and nothing gets in there.....

realolman

We used to use it to splice underground 2400v cables.. You can just press it into voids and what not to smooth things up and then as with scotch 33, you stretch it and wrap it ...It doesn't leak

Status
Not open for further replies.