Indian electrical code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadgage

Indian electrical regulations are based on UK regulations and practice.
Installations often use UK type materials.

TT earthing is permitted, as it is in the UK, this being specificly prohibited by the USA NEC.

The usual supply to domestic and other small properties is single phase, 2 wire, 240 volts, 50 cycles.
Larger premises would have a 3 phase, 4 wire supply at 240/415 volts.
Colour codes are generally black for neutral and red for live on single phase circuits.
3 phase would use red, yellow, and blue for the phases with black for neutral.
Earth is green or green/yellow.

Enforcement of regulations is patchy, and standards of material and workmanship very variable.

Besoeker

Indian electrical regulations are based on UK regulations and practice.
Installations often use UK type materials.

TT earthing is permitted, as it is in the UK, this being specificly prohibited by the USA NEC.

The usual supply to domestic and other small properties is single phase, 2 wire, 240 volts, 50 cycles.
Larger premises would have a 3 phase, 4 wire supply at 240/415 volts.
Colour codes are generally black for neutral and red for live on single phase circuits.
3 phase would use red, yellow, and blue for the phases with black for neutral.
Earth is green or green/yellow.

Broadgage

You may be aware the the colour coding was changed in UK a few years ago.

Harmonisedcolours-1.jpg

I don't know if India followed suit.

The voltage is now nominally 400/230.

jumper

Gee whiz, we are actually gonna talk about electrical in this thread?:)

Okay, now I have a serious question:

If India's codes are based off the UK's, are the UK's based off the IEC or were they developed separately?

kwired

Electron manager
You are an evil person. However, in 40 hours of online training apparrently you can become an expert in all kinds of different fields. Why can't we do that here?
You can become an expert in any field with an online training course. Becoming licensed where you live is another issue.

Maybe because your installations would end up looking like this?

Indiacomms02.jpg
You need to be an expert to work on that. The rest just use trial and error until they get things to work.

broadgage

Broadgage

You may be aware the the colour coding was changed in UK a few years ago.

Harmonisedcolours-1.jpg

I don't know if India followed suit.

The voltage is now nominally 400/230.

Yes I am aware of the new UK colours which we have been using for some years now.
AFAIK however India still uses the old UK colors.

The nominal voltage in the UK was indeed reduced from 240/415 down to 230/400, though the actual voltage supplied tends be still 240/415.
India however still uses 240/415 nominal.

Besoeker

The nominal voltage in the UK was indeed reduced from 240/415 down to 230/400, though the actual voltage supplied tends be still 240/415.
It was a fudge in the name of "harmonisation".
The nominal voltage changed as were the tolerances.
In real terms, nothing much actually changed.

Besoeker

Gee whiz, we are actually gonna talk about electrical in this thread?:)

Okay, now I have a serious question:

If India's codes are based off the UK's, are the UK's based off the IEC or were they developed separately?
India was part of the British Empire so it was natural to for India to adopt British customs and practices. I think some British cars are still made in India that were superseded here a generation ago. I was thinking of the Morris Oxford but there it is called the Hindustan Ambassador and has been in production since 1958.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Hmm
The OP's question has not been answered yet.

I am curious, what is the maximum size EGC allowed in the Indian NEC? For that matter, what is the minimum? How strictly is the standard enforced?

Status
Not open for further replies.