Swimming Pool motor protection ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

i was called to relocate existing gas heated, salt water pool equipment. I had to change the separate pool equipment building's panel to a combination panel with a Main shutoff, and discovered the 240volt motor had no GFCI protection. I rewired it to 120volts, changed the cable to handle the increase in current, and added an inexpensive GFCI dead front device. The motor plainly states it requires GFCI protection.... did the previous electrician overlook the requirement for GFCI or was he trying to prevent nuisance tripping in the salt water pump to prevent winter freezing?? ...I was told an reputable installer was hired when the pool was connected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Depends on when the pool was installed. A few cycles ago, I believe the 2005, was the change to req. GFCI on pool motors. They do make 240V gfci breakers

stickboy1375

???? am i suppose to be charging for services i provide ???? :blink:

Man i knew i was doing something wrong :slaphead:

I only point it out because people speak like its their money.... I went to a few seminars and first thing they stress is, stop acting like it's your wallet, $50 dollars vs $5000 can be the same thing to some people...

Last edited:

Gac66610

I only point it out because people speak like its their money.... I went to a few seminars and first thing they stress is, stop acting like it's your wallet, $50 dollars vs $5000 can be the same thing to some people...

your statement is very true .... i always seem to look at it as "my expense" not "my profit"
i guess, for the most part, i want to do the best job for less
sometimes those just dont go together:happyno:

stickboy1375

your statement is very true .... i always seem to look at it as "my expense" not "my profit"
i guess, for the most part, i want to do the best job for less
sometimes those just dont go together:happyno:

I look at it as, the more expensive it is, the more markup I can make. :) Seriously though, one thing i've learned, if your customers don't complain about your bill, you didn't charge enough.

powerplay

Your seminar was for sales? Finding the right value for customers gets more work through word of mouth, which usually equals trouble free payments and no advertising costs. In the long term, being trusted to give the proper advise keeps me busy without searching for work, and they are happy to keep calling for other issues.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Price for 2 pole 240volt breaker was $241... Price for safer working voltage 120volt $25. Wiring was 3m away and no drywall.

Electrocution from 120V leaves you just as dead as electrocution from 240V, neither is "safer" than the other. (Let the flame wars begin!):roll:

So you yanked out the existing 240V wiring and installed larger conductors for 120V, re-strapped the motor connections AND bought and installed a 120V GFI breaker for $25?

I need some new lights installed in my ceilings, can I hire you?

stickboy1375

Your seminar was for sales? Finding the right value for customers gets more work through word of mouth, which usually equals trouble free payments and no advertising costs. In the long term, being trusted to give the proper advise keeps me busy without searching for work, and they are happy to keep calling for other issues.

It was a Lutron seminar on selling "Lutron Products" basically a crash course on getting over the price on a product, and to sell something in a way that they need this in their house. :) It was informative and a great look outside the box approach, because I know damn well I don't really know what it means to be wealthy, and the cost of something needs to be overlooked simply because "YOU" couldn't afford it yourself.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have not seen a 120V gfci breaker that was as cheap as $25.00. A dp GFI however is about $80-100.

If you want to get really cheap use a 25 amp breaker and don't use a gfci at all.

powerplay

Electrocution from 120V leaves you just as dead as electrocution from 240V, neither is "safer" than the other. (Let the flame wars begin!):roll:

So you yanked out the existing 240V wiring and installed larger conductors for 120V, re-strapped the motor connections AND bought and installed a 120V GFI breaker for $25?

I need some new lights installed in my ceilings, can I hire you?

In a swimming pool, i believe it's about more volts over an area that debilitates your muscle control so less volts gives a better chance of getting out than sinking like a rock?? ... plus if a shock at the motor is 120v rather than 240v Gramps and his pacemaker have a chance..?? :p

The existing wiring was about 4m of 14/2, and replaced with 12/2...easily reused for another job. I pass the wholesaler every day so a blank 120volt GFCI was an easy inexpensive pickup. the motor connections and all took me less than 1/2 hour, and i saved on the 2 pole breaker. Customers happy, and I got another job my helper can do installing lights in an Moderators ceiling...another excellent day!!! :)

powerplay

It was a Lutron seminar on selling "Lutron Products" basically a crash course on getting over the price on a product, and to sell something in a way that they need this in their house. :) It was informative and a great look outside the box approach, because I know damn well I don't really know what it means to be wealthy, and the cost of something needs to be overlooked simply because "YOU" couldn't afford it yourself.

True enough..in this case it was an friend's job he was trying to keep the numbers low.... I do know things backfire trying to reduce costs at times... last customer i talked to i agreed that it costs more to be cheap in the long run.

finster1

pricing

pricing

I agree ....................i don't like spending my customers money..........I treat all my customers with price like I would like to be treated and I always wind up with an abundance of work...Maybe I dont make as much as some of you guys ,but I consistently net mid 6 figures which prior to becoming an electrician, I didnt thing would be possible.............at least with my education, Just high school.....

Status
Not open for further replies.