Connecting meter socket and service disconnect to GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cirtcele1

I just spoke with a small community inspector about replacing a 60 amp amp service with a new 200 amp service entrance. Meter socket and breaker panel will be new he said that he would like to see the meter socket and breaker panel have their own ground wire to the GEC. The conduit between the two is EMT.

pete m.

Maybe he would also like to see section 250.24

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current
Systems.

(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring
system supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a
grounding electrode conductor connected to the grounded
service conductor, at each service, in accordance with
250.24(A)(1) through (A)(5).
(1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection
shall be made at any accessible point from the load end
of the service drop or service lateral to and including the
terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is
connected at the service disconnecting means.

What an inspector "wants" is irrelevant IMHO.

Pete

Primo

Article 250-142b ex. 2
It shall be permissible to ground meter enclosures by connection to the grounded circuitconductor on the load side of the sevice disconnect where all of the conditions apply
No service ground fault protection is installed, all meter enclosures are located immediately adjacent to the service disconnecting means, the size of the grounded conductor is not smaller thhe specified in Table 250-122 for equipment grounding condutors

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Every meter enclousure that I've installed has had a factory bond between the neutral and the enclosure so doing what the inspector "wants" is unnecessary and not required.

raider1

Staff member
Article 250-142b ex. 2
It shall be permissible to ground meter enclosures by connection to the grounded circuitconductor on the load side of the sevice disconnect where all of the conditions apply
No service ground fault protection is installed, all meter enclosures are located immediately adjacent to the service disconnecting means, the size of the grounded conductor is not smaller thhe specified in Table 250-122 for equipment grounding condutors

Primo, the section that you are citing only applies to meters installed on the load side of the service disconnecting means, as I read the OPers situation I an envisioning the meter on the line side of the service disconnecting means.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.