grounding/bonding pond pump motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbin

I recently installed a 100 amp sub panel at my house for my pond equipment. I have 3 pump motors outside. An irrigation pump, an aeration pump and a jet pump down by my creek. Now my question is, do I need to do more than just run a ground wire to each pump? Do I need to drive a ground rod at any of them bonding them back to the equipment ground ran from the panel. The pond is going to be used for swimming and fishing. Just want to cover all my bases. Theres no wire mesh around the pond. The jet pump is 450' away so I am going to be setting a disconnect down by that pump. The other 2 pumps are about 4' behind the panel. The sub panel is outside by my pond.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might want to look at Art 682. It sounds like it might be applicable.

corbin

I jave looked through 682 and read up with the dantem plane. It just seems vague with everything. I just dont want a pump to short out and somehow the breaker not trip and the voltage be carried to the pond through the water pipes

erickench

Why on earth would you want to put in more ground rods? That's not gonna help you with the problem that you're describing. A ground rod stabilizes the voltage and provides a low resistance path for lightning. That's all! All you need is a ground wire from the pumps to the sub panel and from there to the service back to the utility. Try bonding the water pipes to the EGC.

corbin

If you read the post. The pumps are for irrigation, aeration, and pond level. All water pipes are pvc so there is no way to bond the pipes to the EGC. I was told that a ground rod would be a means of equipotenial ground around the pump. I did not think that sounded right so I asked here for more help. I was not going to drive any rods it was something I was told should be done. Hearing that I asked here. I could not find anything in the code book saying anything about doing that. Just a note. This is my first excursion with bodies of water and electrical. Just trying to gain knowledge so that I do not jump in my pond and get electricuted.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I referenced you to Art 682 as I think it applies, but, I'm still trying to digest the details of that section so I'm not clear on any recommendations or requirements. I think your concerns are valid, but I'm at a loss on action.

corbin

I have looked through 682 and read up with the datem plane. It just seems vague with everything. I just dont want a pump to short out and somehow the breaker not trip and the voltage be carried to the pond through the water pipes

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You can always GFCI for added safety. But I wouldn't GFCI the pump on the 450' run unless you do it near the pump -- too long of a wire run to cause a capacitive leakage of current which will trip the GFCI too often.

A ground rod at a pump would only provide a equipotential zone for a foot -- too small of a radius for a person. If you want an equipotential zone, you need a mesh. Pools use a 1' by 1' wire mesh. But I don't really see this as necessary unless people could be playing on/around the pump, the pump is in the water, or it has a large breaker for startup current (something larger than about 125% of the nameplate).

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I jave looked through 682 and read up with the dantem plane. It just seems vague with everything. I just dont want a pump to short out and somehow the breaker not trip and the voltage be carried to the pond through the water pipes
Don't put your service equipment or any panels or transformers where they could get flooded it the pond breaks free, make sure all the pumps and what is associated with them have proper equipment grounding. That's a quick and dirty summation based on what I know from working on farm irrigation.

GFCI protection adds an extra layer of safety, extra ground rods little.

corbin

No pumps are submersed. All are on land. Like I said before, this is my first time dealing with bodies of water. I am not a 10 or 20 year vetern I just topped out and want everything safe. Thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.