Utility vs NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodturner9

The following question arose on another board, and I'm interested in hearing the experience and understanding of the folks on this board.

When I have upgraded or installed new residential service entrances, the utility has insisted that they specify the bonding location and ground configuration, and refused to connect if the install did not comply with their "rules". Usually the bond point has been the panel, but not always (I have installed service entrances in different states, municipalities, and for different utilities). In my experience, the utility has been adamant that it be done "their way" - to the point that, in one case, the utility's engineer advised me to do it "their way", get it inspected and connected, then change it to comply with NEC.

Another poster who is active on both this board and the other says that NEC dictates the bond point and essentially that what the utility says does not matter.

My question: what is your understanding and interpretation? How do you do it?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the NEC is a direct conflict with the Poco rules that I would have a sit down with engineers and inspectors but otherwise I would do what the poco wants.

For instance around here we install out GEC in the meter. The NEC is okay with it but some poco's say no they will not accept it in the meter. In that case I would install it in the panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I might add that 30 years ago I had an inspector tell me to bond my GEC to the gas meter. When I did the gas company blew a hissy fit which I knew would happen. They called me and I told them to work it out with the inspector. They did- we no longer had to connect to the gas pipe with the GEC. Today, however, most gas companies have a dielectric fitting so their underground portion is not connected to the GEC.

stickboy1375

Interesting topic, we have to get an inspection before any service can get turned on, so the inspector has to enforce the NEC, so not sure how the poco gets involved in that to begin with? Personally, the only say they should have, is whether or not it can enter their equipment, otherwise, why even care?

iwire

Staff member
The following question arose on another board, and I'm interested in hearing the experience and understanding of the folks on this board.

When I have upgraded or installed new residential service entrances, the utility has insisted that they specify the bonding location and ground configuration, and refused to connect if the install did not comply with their "rules". Usually the bond point has been the panel, but not always (I have installed service entrances in different states, municipalities, and for different utilities). In my experience, the utility has been adamant that it be done "their way" - to the point that, in one case, the utility's engineer advised me to do it "their way", get it inspected and connected, then change it to comply with NEC.

Another poster who is active on both this board and the other says that NEC dictates the bond point and essentially that what the utility says does not matter.

My question: what is your understanding and interpretation? How do you do it?

Thanks.

What specific item do you beleive to be in conflict?

stickboy1375

The specific disagreement concerned whether the utility or NEC dictates where the neutral is bonded to the ground. In my experience, the utility specifies that, usually in the service panel but sometimes at the meter socket.

By the NEC, you have a few locations....

503ecm17fig1.jpg

So, if you have a meter with disconnect, do they still require the location to be at the panel?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would do what the poco says in that case as they have the right to make that decision on what they will hook up to. Either is compliant

Speshulk

I might add that 30 years ago I had an inspector tell me to bond my GEC to the gas meter. When I did the gas company blew a hissy fit which I knew would happen. They called me and I told them to work it out with the inspector. They did- we no longer had to connect to the gas pipe with the GEC. Today, however, most gas companies have a dielectric fitting so their underground portion is not connected to the GEC.

Interesting. The NYS building code recently adopted what they called an "emergency" change. Gas piping is now required to be bonded at the location that the black rigid steel piping enters the building. Apparently there is some issue with corrugated steel piping that the gas companies are now running in homes.

stickboy1375

Interesting. The NYS building code recently adopted what they called an "emergency" change. Gas piping is now required to be bonded at the location that the black rigid steel piping enters the building. Apparently there is some issue with corrugated steel piping that the gas companies are now running in homes.

Thats an older topic, but new to NYS?

Status
Not open for further replies.