NM cable sleeved it conduit outdoors..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
"They are THHN/THWN but they are not designed to be used without the outer jacket. This is a dry location only product."

One has to decide whether they are running a raceway with conductors or a cable. They don't have to mark the individual type of conductors in the cable - the cable type designates how they are treated no matter what they may actually be. NM cables are also to be treated as 60?C conductors for ampacity. THHN/THWN is probably about most common conductor made so they just use it when making these cables, they just don't mark the conductors like they do when making THHN/THWN intended to be sold as THHN/THWN.

Romex? NM-B cable

Romex? NM-B cable

Romex? NM-B cable is not designed to be used without the outer jacket. It?s listed by UL as a complete assembly. The inner conductors are not labeled or marked and the outer jacket should only be removed for terminating. Romex? is a registered trademark of Southwire Company.
ROMEX? NM Cable Enthusiast
This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice. As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED. Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree.. all I have seen so far is the CMP and manufacture getting together and telling us it is not safe being installed in a "wet location".. :slaphead:

The proposal that required this was mine and it had nothing to do with the manufacturer's.

Strife

Exception ; When the inspector is not looking....:lol:

It seems that none of the inspector's ever call that out, when romex comes through an outside wall to a box with a light fixture ,or a box with a receptacle both are in a wet location .

I never tested it.
One day when I have enough money to redo and pay the reinspection fees.....one day...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You say lazy, I say efficient in many cases.

I want the wire makers to sell spools of THWN with black, white, green twisted together so they are like a little triplex. That would be nice for small pipe jobs.

You can get them made up like this. They are not twisted together, just tied together. You can get anything you want made up this way. I have seen 20 or more conductors. Each conductor has a printed number on it to identify it.

iwire

Staff member
You can get them made up like this. They are not twisted together, just tied together. You can get anything you want made up this way. I have seen 20 or more conductors. Each conductor has a printed number on it to identify it.

Yeah, called a 'quick' pull but not at all what I was suggesting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.