GP receptacle by the pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Can the GP receptacle for the pool as required by 680.22A3 be powered by the same circuit as the cord & plug pool motor?
This is an above the ground pool, deeper than 42".
Twist lock w/outdoor pump timer for the filter motor is 6' from the pool edge.
I would like to install the GP receptacle here as well.

Is this code compliant? (2011)

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do you (or will the inspector) consider the pump to be fastened in place? If so, and it draws mroe than 50% of the circuit rating, you cannot have lights or general purpose receptacles on that circuit. I'd consider the pump fastened-in-place if you have rigid PVC water pipe going to it. If it can be easily detached and carried away, then to me it isn't fastened in place.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Funny thing under the 2011 you need a twist lock for the pump receptacle but not the GP receptacle even if they're both only 6' from the waters edge.

680.22 Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
(A) Receptacles.
(1) Circulation and Sanitation System, Location. Receptacles
that provide power for water-pump motors or for other
loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system
shall be located at least 3.0 m (10 ft) from the inside walls of
the pool, or not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from the inside walls of
the pool if they meet all of the following conditions:
(1) Consist of single receptacles
(2) Employ a locking configuration
(3) Are of the grounding type
(4) Have GFCI protection
(2) Other Receptacles, Location. Other receptacles shall
be not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from the inside walls of a pool.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Do you (or will the inspector) consider the pump to be fastened in place? If so, and it draws mroe than 50% of the circuit rating, you cannot have lights or general purpose receptacles on that circuit. I'd consider the pump fastened-in-place if you have rigid PVC water pipe going to it. If it can be easily detached and carried away, then to me it isn't fastened in place.

Hi Mark;
the pump is rated at 12 amps max, so that circuit must be dedicated to the pump.
Can you reference the code section regarding the 50% of the circuit rating.
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Look here:

210.23 Permissible Loads.
In no case shall the load exceed the branch-circuit ampere rating. An individual branch circuit shall be permitted to supply any load for which it is rated. A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets or receptacles shall supply only the loads specified according to its size as specified in 210.23(A) through (D) and as summarized in 210.24 and Table 210.24.
(A) 15- and 20-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply lighting units or other utilization equipment, or a combination of both, and shall comply with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
Exception: The small-appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits, and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit(s) by 210.11(C)(1), (C)(2), and (C)(3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets specified in that section.
(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.