Temp Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you had to feed a 200a temp panel what is the most common wiring method? Do they make romex rated for 400A...I did not think they go that big. Alum feeder MC??? Thanks

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If you had to feed a 200a temp panel what is the most common wiring method? Do they make romex rated for 400A...I did not think they go that big. Alum feeder MC??? Thanks

Why would you want 400 amp cable for a 200 amp temporary?

jumper

SE cable and overhead service. A GES, ground rods, is required. 3R panel and GFCI protection of 125V 15 and 20 amp receptacles. I got a a set of ordering standard specs I use for a temp service. I will see if I can find it.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Just trying to think of the most cost effective way of running temporary wiring for panels indoors.... don't know if wiring methods change as the conductors get bigger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is your temp panel going to be the service point or is it being fed from another overcurrent device ?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
How is SER cable sooooo much more labor than SER cable. Below are NECA MLU units. Is it that much heavier??.....I hope it's much cheaper to buy than Alum MC because the labor is not cheaper...obviously

Aluminum MC Feeder Cable 3/0-3/0-3/0-4 = 46.00M

Aluminum SER 3/c Cable 3/0 =104.00M

Aluminum SER 4/c Cable 3/0= 124M

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I have no idea what your posted labor units are based on but without a doubt at all we would use aluminum SER cable.

It is what we use for all our temp feeders both inside and outside.

kwired

Electron manager
Main thing to remember if it is a temporary feeder is that you have more relaxed requirements for type of wiring methods permitted vs if it were a permanent installation. If you can find a large enough flexible cord you can use that also.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I have no idea what your posted labor units are based on but without a doubt at all we would use aluminum SER cable.

It is what we use for all our temp feeders both inside and outside.

I understand but I was just bringing up the point that the labor is MUCH more for SER so was thinking the matrial would have to be MUCH cheaper than MC to make it a better option...thanks

Just checked and AL feeder MC is half the price fo AL SER....don't understand how SER for temp would be cheaper...sorry just asking

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I understand but I was just bringing up the point that the labor is MUCH more for SER so was thinking the matrial would have to be MUCH cheaper than MC to make it a better option...thanks

Just checked and AL feeder MC is half the price fo AL SER....don't understand how SER for temp would be cheaper...sorry just asking

I thought I had a good point regarding price and labor of SER compared to AL feeder MC

iwire

Staff member

Your figures or your understanding of them have to be wrong.

Installing SER is easier than installing MC and there is no way SER is twice the price of MC. Are you sure you are looking at AL SER?

Besides, are you trying to use labor units for permenant wiring for temp wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.