panel board

Status
Not open for further replies.
came across a used 600 v. panelboard someone installed on a 240v service does anyone have a code ref.handy on something like this.

John120/240

Why are you questioning this ? If it is rated at 600 V and only supplying it with 240 V, the

panel is more than capable of what ever you load it with. Right or wrong ?? Others will chime in

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
barring some other factor, not a problem to anything but the wallet,.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We use wire rated for 600V on a 240 volt system. We even us 200 amp panel board and feed them with 60 amps if the load calculates in favor of this install.

panel board

ya i agree panelboard will handle 240 stuff, but when you see all the high voltage brks. at first glance you're thinking 277/480. so it's misleading. just ask the guy who was selling property.

Strife

ya i agree panelboard will handle 240 stuff, but when you see all the high voltage brks. at first glance you're thinking 277/480. so it's misleading. just ask the guy who was selling property.

Sorry, but if someone thinks voltage is 277/480 just because the breakers and panels are rated for that, they have NO BUSINESS doing ANYTHING regarding electricity.
But then again, let's make this a code change as well. It's not like NEC doesn't already have a plethora of usefull idiotic requirements already, what's another one gonna hurt?

btharmy

What is there to reference? It would be different if it were 240v rated equipment on 600v.

I have seen it. A warehouse maintenance man installed a siemens 200a 3ph. load center with QP push in breakers and fed it with 480v. He then fed 480v battery chargers from the panel. I am not sure how long it was in service. I removed it when property management hired me to "clean up" the space to show/lease when the previous tennant vacated the space.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sometimes you have to do that to get breakers with a high enough AIC for the available fault current.

Yes, I've installed 480VAC panels/breakers several times for that reason. In this photo of a 208 volt panel you can see that the CB will give you 65K at 120 volts.

2010-11-01_10-42-36_132.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, I've installed 480VAC panels/breakers several times for that reason. In this photo of a 208 volt panel you can see that the CB will give you 65K at 120 volts.

2010-11-01_10-42-36_132.jpg

If we assume applied voltage is what it marked on the unit then we still have to question if that one is 277 AC or 125 DC.

iwire

Staff member
Sometimes you have to do that to get breakers with a high enough AIC for the available fault current.

I have always thought that as well but when I have said it Jim D posts a link to 65K plug in breakers. :huh:

But yes I have installed 600 volt panels for 208 systems per specification.

kwired

Electron manager
Not an NEC requirement but is a common practice to field mark panelboards and even other equipment with the nominal voltage supplied to the equipment. If there is more than one voltage system present then you can still easily identify by required conductor identification and required posting of identification means.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
But yes I have installed 600 volt panels for 208 systems per specification.
This would usually be my preference - install a 'standard' offer instead of a special order one.

If someone is confused by the manufacturer's nameplate of a panel, I wonder what happens when they get to the nameplate of a dual voltage motor?:?

templdl

This would usually be my preference - install a 'standard' offer instead of a special order one.

If someone is confused by the manufacturer's nameplate of a panel, I wonder what happens when they get to the nameplate of a dual voltage motor?:?

I know with the paneboard that I sold the only difference in the way the actual 208Y/120V and the 480Y/277V panelboard were constructed was that insulating sleeves were added to the bus connectors to the breakers. I supplied 208Y/102 rated panelboard chassis to a switchboard builder where my factory supplied some with and without the sleeves. All were correct but I had to supply sleeving for the panels that didn't have them so that they looked the same and I could blame them. It would have been just as simple to remove the sleeves for the panels that were supplied with it I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.