Clamping bare #4 exiting service panel to water pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Surface mounted meter/main panel, with the GEC run through the small 1/4" hole in the bottom and strapped to the wall surface. What code sections would you quote to not allow this?

Thanks

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Not even to protect it where it enters the box? Every other cable and conductor get clamped?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Not even to protect it where it enters the box? Every other cable and conductor get clamped?

Good question. I've never been flagged for it. I have seen people use a 2 screw romex(TM:)) connector in a 1/2" KO though. Like to know what the inspectors on here think. Ring...ring...Cowboy where are you?

resistance

Where exposed, a grounding electrode conductor or its enclosure shall be securely fastened to the surface on which it is carried. A 4 AWG or larger copper or aluminum grounding electrode conductor shall be protected where exposed to physical damage. A 6 AWG grounding electrode conductor that is free from exposure to physical damage shall be permitted to be run along the surface of the building construction without metal covering or protection where it is securely fastened to the construction; otherwise, it shall be in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, electrical metallic tubing, or cable armor. Grounding electrode conductors smaller than 6 AWG shall be in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, electrical metallic tubing, or cable armor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Surface mounted meter/main panel, with the GEC run through the small 1/4" hole in the bottom and strapped to the wall surface. What code sections would you quote to not allow this?

Thanks

IMO that is what the hole is for. Every service I ever installed was done using the 1/4" hole for the gec

resistance

I figured the small hole was for the same reason Dennis does. The Nema type 2 and 3 enclosures have the same KO's in the bottom.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Im going out on a limb here, but I would think it was for water drainage, no?

I think the gap around the covers is larger than the KO (for water to run out/under).:D

I am asking because, "good trade practice" would be to clamp the wire and several AHJs in my area require it, I stuck my neck out and asked an electrician to clamp the GEC #4 today (he was fine with it) but I want to be 100%, if I am asking for it, that I can justify the request. I just want to be fair.

stickboy1375

I think the gap around the covers is larger than the KO (for water to run out/under).:D

I am asking because, "good trade practice" would be to clamp the wire and several AHJs in my area require it, I stuck my neck out and asked an electrician to clamp the GEC #4 today (he was fine with it) but I want to be 100%, if I am asking for it, that I can justify the request. I just want to be fair.

LOL, and I agree. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.