Grounding to out buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to increase the size of the 100 amp single phase service to 225 amps in the house and eliminate a second 100 amp single phase service on the property by refeeding a new 125 amp distribution panel from the panel in the home. The second service that i want to eliminate currently feeds several small storage buildings. My question is can i do the grounding at the upgraded 225 amp panel in the house and carry a proper size grounding conductor with phase and neutral conductors to a new distribution panel in one of the out buildings. I would like to have a MCB in the distribution located in the out building panel for convience. Do i need a second set of ground rods at the outbuilding distribution panel? There is no water in the outbuildings.

hurk27

Since you are upgrading the house service you do have options to eliminate the EGC going to the out buildings by installing a meter with double lugs on the load side, most 320 meter bases have this option, this way you don't need to put this load on the house panel and since these are service conductors going to the out building you only need the two ungrounded and the grounded (neutral) and since you will be installing a main at the out building and a GES which the NEC would require either way you do it.

Also since these SEC's are not entering a building as they arerunning back into the ground or overhead out to the other building there is no requirment for a disconnect or OCPD's at the house end, only when and where these conductors enter a building or structure will a disconnect be required. 230.70

See 230.40 Exception #3 is where the NEC allows it, but check with you codes in your state and or your utility who might not allow it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.