Recess light in shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbakelis

I know that an exhaust fan located over a shower area in the bathroom must be GFCI protected. My question is, does a recess light in a shower have to be GFCI protected if it has the appropriate glass trim with gasket.

kwired

Electron manager
I know that an exhaust fan located over a shower area in the bathroom must be GFCI protected. My question is, does a recess light in a shower have to be GFCI protected if it has the appropriate glass trim with gasket.

The NEC does not require either to be GFCI protected. The manufacturer instructions with almost all fans do require it.
Never seen the requirment on a recessed can - but there could be some that have it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As mentioned the NEC is silent on GFCI protection for either of those items and would merely defer to Article 110.

stickboy1375

No, but you know you only need a wet location trim where subject to shower spray, yes? I've never seen a shower with the shower head pointed at the ceiling, but I have done a few baths with recessed rain heads that would qualify for a wet location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Was it you Stickboy who posted this compliant picture-- fixtures are damp location rated.

ry%3D480

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
Yep, I had an inspector question my use of open trims over a hydromassage tub-- no shower. Had to show him the article.
dennis our inspector requires a shower trim even if the can light is over a jacuzzi tub or soaking tub with no shower head.are you saying he is incorrect and what article did you show him because i read 410.10 d and it dont really say open trims are ok?thanks

stickboy1375

dennis our inspector requires a shower trim even if the can light is over a jacuzzi tub or soaking tub with no shower head.are you saying he is incorrect and what article did you show him because i read 410.10 d and it dont really say open trims are ok?thanks

Is this a state amendment or just his opinion? :roll: if you are in the 8' x 3' zone then the trims are required to be rated for damp location, if the luminaire is subject to shower spray, THEN you need a wet location trim, but I have yet to have a shower head pointed at the ceiling... :angel:

Last edited:

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
Is this a state amendment or just his opinion? :roll: if you are in the 8' x 3' zone then the trims are required to be rated for damp location, if the luminaire is subject to shower spray, THEN you need a wet location trim, but I have yet to have a shower head pointed at the ceiling... :angel:
this is just his opinion.

kwired

Electron manager

Do they allow open trims outdoors in overhangs? That is a damp location also.

Status
Not open for further replies.