replacing 250w hps wall pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just replaced 7 - 400 watt HID wall packs with 64 watt LED's -- it was great. They look the same-- Atlas apparently uses these drivers that are made in Germany and are supposed to be high quality. They have a 5 year total replacement. For some reason they don't have the catalog online so I scanned it into google docs-- click here for photometrics etc

viewer

mivey

Baloney! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Yeah, the HPS are bologna colored: pink. I'm sure the IND sellers are hyping the replacement values just like the LED folks do but I really don't know.

What I do know is that I can see a lot better with the MH or flourescents than I can with the HPS-colored fixtures so I know that some of the pink lumens are waste for me. I really do hate the HPS light.

But since you are all about the lumens and don't think any light is wasted in poor color, I'm sure you have all LPS fixtures on your properties.:lol:

TNBaer

Given the LPW given for the LED products they sell and the comparison they make against MH, the presumption they're making is that MH has luminaire efficacy of 11.7 lm/W

They can only pull that off by messing with the allocation of "useful" light and using a sampling point in low spots that showcases metal halide as worse than it really is.

I know we've discussed this before but what I think they are doing is focusing LED in where they assume the customer will need it most. This is all candela, using a lumen measurements is likely an improper way to calculate the useful light here. Though, your point is important and completely valid. If candela is unimportant to the customer, and a wide dispersal of lumens is needed the RAB fixture I recommended will likely be insufficient.

jeremysterling

I know we've discussed this before but what I think they are doing is focusing LED in where they assume the customer will need it most. This is all candela, using a lumen measurements is likely an improper way to calculate the useful light here. Though, your point is important and completely valid. If candela is unimportant to the customer, and a wide dispersal of lumens is needed the RAB fixture I recommended will likely be insufficient.

Yesterday, I replaced (4) 175W MH wallpacks with customer supplied RAB 78W's. These were mounted about 15' up on tiltwall. I used 3/8" wedge anchors.

These fixtures are awkward to handle on the extension ladder, but aren't they all. The supplied wallmount adapter plate is smaller than the demo'd wallpack "footprint" so some touch-up painting will be necessary.

I like the clean, stealthy, architectural look of the RAB fixture. I like that they point down and not out. I have not been by at night, but I'm sure the customer will be happy with the security lighting.

This may actually be the second best application for LED lighting, right after retail reach in frozen food display cases.

TNBaer

Yesterday, I replaced (4) 175W MH wallpacks with customer supplied RAB 78W's. These were mounted about 15' up on tiltwall. I used 3/8" wedge anchors.

These fixtures are awkward to handle on the extension ladder, but aren't they all. The supplied wallmount adapter plate is smaller than the demo'd wallpack "footprint" so some touch-up painting will be necessary.

I like the clean, stealthy, architectural look of the RAB fixture. I like that they point down and not out. I have not been by at night, but I'm sure the customer will be happy with the security lighting.

This may actually be the second best application for LED lighting, right after retail reach in frozen food display cases.

Jeremy, let me know how it goes. If you take pictures at night remember to take them without getting the fixture itself in the shot. This will show the lighted area better.

copper chopper

dont you guys have lighting companies where you live, thats what they do for a living. I had a similar job last year in a parking lot and the lighting rep. from the lighting company gave us 10 different lights to try and the customer paid us to put them all up so they could choose wich one they wanted. It turned out great and yes they went with LED.

kwired

Electron manager
dont you guys have lighting companies where you live, thats what they do for a living. I had a similar job last year in a parking lot and the lighting rep. from the lighting company gave us 10 different lights to try and the customer paid us to put them all up so they could choose wich one they wanted. It turned out great and yes they went with LED.

Why did they give you 10 choices to try, I would hope they narrow it down to only two or three easily by just using photos or computer simulations or something not involving actually installing trial luminaires.

Electric-Light

I don't credit "LED technology" for it though. It's not a light source advantage issue. It's in the luminaire design.

So, a 55W incandescent car headlight is much more efficient than a 200W LED flood light assuming we're only looking at the light made available at the spot projected. You can further make marketing efficiency higher by further constraining the areas that need illumination.

As for security light, you can use a super sharp cut off fixture with only lights up the walk path.

however, the lower level, large area spill in the vegetation might not be adequately well for safe walking,but provides enough dark areas for would be criminals to hide in.

TNBaer

I don't credit "LED technology" for it though. It's not a light source advantage issue. It's in the luminaire design.

It could be. There's no doubt that the LED luminaires are designed differently. But considering I've took readings with full cut-off LEDs vs open and half cut off Wallpacks (MH and HPS) the LEDs won out.

The other thing we need to remember is that LEDs are a "sexy" product that pique customers' interest. Most customers are unwilling to shell out $350 for a well designed MH luminaire, but they won't think twice about shelling it out for LED.

At the end of the day, and as much as I hate it, if it puts viable, energy efficient tech into sockets then it matters little to me how it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.