Disconnecting means - appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

For the 2011 NEC, the disconnecting means of appliances (article 422 part III) section breaks up the disconnecting means of permanently connected appliances into three sections:

A) < 300 VA or <1/8th HP
B) > 300 VA
C) Motor operated appliance and > 1/8 HP

My first question is what are examples of appliances that aren't motor operated? A heater is the only thing that comes to mind.

My next question is: for appliances > 300 VA, the allowable disconnect can be a branch circuit disconnect switch or circuit breaker in sight or out of sight only if it is capable of being locked. But, for motor operated appliances > 300 VA, the disconnect can only be a switch or C.B. that is in sight? This means lockable disconnects are not allowed for motors > 300 VA?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For the 2011 NEC, the disconnecting means of appliances (article 422 part III) section breaks up the disconnecting means of permanently connected appliances into three sections:

A) < 300 VA or <1/8th HP
B) > 300 VA
C) Motor operated appliance and > 1/8 HP

My first question is what are examples of appliances that aren't motor operated? A heater is the only thing that comes to mind.
Water heaters mostly but other than that I would say warming drawers also. Can't think of any others.

My next question is: for appliances > 300 VA, the allowable disconnect can be a branch circuit disconnect switch or circuit breaker in sight or out of sight only if it is capable of being locked. But, for motor operated appliances > 300 VA, the disconnect can only be a switch or C.B. that is in sight? This means lockable disconnects are not allowed for motors > 300 VA?
That is how I read it except motors over 1/8 hp not 300va

cppoly

Thanks.

So motor appliances greater than 1/8 HP require a switch or circuit breaker as the disconnecting means. How does this apply to dishwashers, refrigerators, microwaves, etc? Where's the switch for these?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thanks.

So motor appliances greater than 1/8 HP require a switch or circuit breaker as the disconnecting means. How does this apply to dishwashers, refrigerators, microwaves, etc? Where's the switch for these?

With the possible exclusion for the dishwasher, grab plug, pull towards you until it isn't touching the receptacle!:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks.

Little Bill was saying that the cord and plug is a disconnect. On a dishwasher we usually install a sp switch under the adjacent sink cabinet.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Around here, central Ohio, cord and plug are required for both the dishwasher and disposal.

I don't understand why a switch is not allowed especially since they allow a switch for a hardwired sump pump to get around the GFCI rule.?????

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have never used a cord and plug for a disposal or a dishwasher. There are some dw's that come with cord and plug but I never added one.

A switch should be fine as long as it is properly sized for the load.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Of course, they are available at our supplier also, I just never used them. I guess it makes it easier for the removal but someone still has to hook the new one back so I just hard wire them.

I knew you knew.

Can't hardwire them here anymore. Like I said I don't know why the switch can't be used!

cppoly

I have never used a cord and plug for a disposal or a dishwasher. There are some dw's that come with cord and plug but I never added one.

A switch should be fine as long as it is properly sized for the load.

Maybe this is where I'm getting messed up.

What is meant by a permanent appliance? I thought a dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, etc. are considered a permanent appliance, but from these replies all these are all considered cord and plug appliances, which is allowed to service as the disconnect? How can the cord and plug act as the disconnect if the cord and plug is behind the equipment and there's no access though?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Maybe this is where I'm getting messed up.

What is meant by a permanent appliance? I thought a dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, etc. are considered a permanent appliance, but from these replies all these are all considered cord and plug appliances, which is allowed to service as the disconnect? How can the cord and plug act as the disconnect if the cord and plug is behind the equipment and there's no access though?

A permanent connected appliance, IMO, is one that is not using a power cord and is portable without having to use tools. I guess a dw which is supplied with a power cord is a fixed appliance and I would consider permanent as there is water and screws fastening it in place. I believe the code may fall short here as it does not define these words.

Art. 250 talks about Fastened in Place or Connected by Permanent Wiring Methods (Fixed) --- so I can support some of my thinking on the subject from that info.

cppoly

For appliances, a cord and plug can act as the disconnect only if the the plug and receptacle are accessible. Wouldn't that mean for ovens, dishwashers, etc. that cord and plug is not accessible and a local disconnect is required?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
For appliances, a cord and plug can act as the disconnect only if the the plug and receptacle are accessible. Wouldn't that mean for ovens, dishwashers, etc. that cord and plug is not accessible and a local disconnect is required?

For a dishwasher if the plug is behind the dw then IMO that is not a disconnect if you cannot access it however if the recep. is in the base cabinet of the sink which is generally adjacent to the dw then the cord and plug would be the disconnect.

On a range that is free standing, then IMO the cord and plug count as a disconnect since you can slide the units out to get to them. Accessible and readily accessible are two different animals-- check definitions in art. 100.

The oven would need a breaker lock or a disconnect if the oven is hardwired or cord and plug and screws are required to get to it. I have never installed a breaker lock on an oven since they do not enforce that here however I believe it would be required.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
On a range that is free standing, then IMO the cord and plug count as a disconnect since you can slide the units out to get to them. Accessible and readily accessible are two different animals-- check definitions in art. 100.

The oven would need a breaker lock or a disconnect if the oven is hardwired or cord and plug and screws are required to get to it. I have never installed a breaker lock on an oven since they do not enforce that here however I believe it would be required.

Most ranges can be unplugged without pulling it out by removing the drawer. The inspectors here accept that as a disconnect.

jwelectric

The NEC allows in certain cases a cord and plug to be used as the disconnecting means. See the following code sections for more information;

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or (2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.
(B) Specific Appliances.
(1) Electrically Operated Kitchen Waste Disposers. Electrically operated kitchen waste disposers shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug-connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The flexible cord shall be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
Exception: A listed kitchen waste disposer distinctly marked to identify it as protected by a system of double insulation, or its equivalent, shall not be required to be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
(2) The length of the cord shall not be less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not over 900 mm (36 in.).
(3) Receptacles shall be located to avoid physical damage to the flexible cord.
(4) The receptacle shall be accessible.
(2) Built-in Dishwashers and Trash Compactors. Built-in dishwashers and trash compactors shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug-connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer where all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The flexible cord shall be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
Exception: A listed dishwasher or trash compactor distinctly marked to identify it as protected by a system of double insulation, or its equivalent, shall not be required to be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
(2) The length of the cord shall be 0.9 m to 1.2 m (3 ft to 4 ft) measured from the face of the attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance.
(3) Receptacles shall be located to avoid physical damage to the flexible cord.
(4) The receptacle shall be located in the space occupied by the appliance or adjacent thereto.
(5) The receptacle shall be accessible.
(3) Wall-Mounted Ovens and Counter-Mounted Cooking Units. Wall-mounted ovens and counter-mounted cooking units complete with provisions for mounting and for making electrical connections shall be permitted to be permanently connected or, only for ease in servicing or for installation, cord-and-plug-connected.
A separable connector or a plug and receptacle combination in the supply line to an oven or cooking unit shall be approved for the temperature of the space in which it is located.
(4) Range Hoods. Range hoods shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug-connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for use on range hoods in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The flexible cord is terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
Exception: A listed range hood distinctly marked to identify it as protected by a system of double insulation, or its equivalent, shall not be required to be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.
(2) The length of the cord is not less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not over 900 mm (36 in.).
(3) Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the flexible cord.
(4) The receptacle is accessible.
(5) The receptacle is supplied by an individual branch circuit.

422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.
(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31.
(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A).
(C) Rating. The rating of a receptacle or of a separable connector shall not be less than the rating of any appliance connected thereto.
Exception: Demand factors authorized elsewhere in this Code shall be permitted to be applied to the rating of a receptacle or of a separable connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.