Wire sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Similar to the EGC sizing question.

I have a VFD with 232A FLC input. The VFD manufacturer says I can go as high as a 700A CB to feed it.

For whatever reason I select a 700A CB.

Am I trapped into sizing the input conductors so they are protected by a 700A CB?

(2) 1/0 wires per phase [125% of 232 is just under 300A - the ampacity of (2) 1/0 wires] is a whole lot nicer then (2) 500 MCM wires per phase.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Similar to the EGC sizing question.

I have a VFD with 232A FLC input. The VFD manufacturer says I can go as high as a 700A CB to feed it.

For whatever reason I select a 700A CB.

Am I trapped into sizing the input conductors so they are protected by a 700A CB?

(2) 1/0 wires per phase [125% of 232 is just under 300A - the ampacity of (2) 1/0 wires] is a whole lot nicer then (2) 500 MCM wires per phase.

You are good to go with the 232 amp X1.25 for conductor ampacity. See 430.122(A).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You are good to go with the 232 amp X1.25 for conductor ampacity. See 430.122(A).

that only tells me what minimum size conductors to use. I don't disagree with that. but does not tell me anything about the rating of the CB.

If I put a 300A CB in the feed, I don't have an issue.

If I go with a 700A CB, what protects the wiring between the CB and the VFD if I have wires that are only good for 300A?

texie

Occupation
that only tells me what minimum size conductors to use. I don't disagree with that. but does not tell me anything about the rating of the CB.

If I put a 300A CB in the feed, I don't have an issue.

If I go with a 700A CB, what protects the wiring between the CB and the VFD if I have wires that are only good for 300A?

Part X, Art 430.120 says to use Part I through Part IX unless modified by Part X. Size the OCP based on the tables. I think the manufacturer is saying you can apply the VFD up to a motor that would require a 700 amp OCPD.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Part X, Art 430.120 says to use Part I through Part IX unless modified by Part X. Size the OCP based on the tables. I think the manufacturer is saying you can apply the VFD up to a motor that would require a 700 amp OCPD.

based on what tables?

So I can take a 700A CB feed it thru a couple of 1/0 wires 500 feet out to a VFD located somewhere in my plant? What protects the wiring for that 500 feet?

texie

Occupation
based on what tables?

So I can take a 700A CB feed it thru a couple of 1/0 wires 500 feet out to a VFD located somewhere in my plant? What protects the wiring for that 500 feet?

You did not indicate the HP and voltage, so let's take a hypothetical. The drive could be used for a 460 volt, 150 HP motor. Table 430.250 tells us 180 amps (180 X 1.25=225 whitch falls within the range of your drive).
Table 430.52 says if you use an inverse time breaker, you can have a 450 amp breaker. If you use an instantaneous breaker you could have 800 amps, but this exceeds the drive spec. You would need 180 X 1.25 of conductor ampacity for this motor with a 450 amp inverse time breaker. I'm sure you know that the OCPD does not have to match the conductor ampacity for a motor load.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... If you use an instantaneous breaker you could have 800 amps, but this exceeds the drive spec. ...
I don't think you can use an instantaneous breaker with a drive. The only code permitted application of that type of breaker is when used as a part of a listed combination starter.

texie

Occupation
I don't think you can use an instantaneous breaker with a drive. The only code permitted application of that type of breaker is when used as a part of a listed combination starter.

Yes, I agree. It was a poor choice to use as an illustration. I was trying to illustrate that 2, 1/0 are fine no matter what OCP he uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.