Receptacle for Island with Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The OP mentioned 210.52(C)(5) exception --- the exception allows for 12" below the counter in order to deal with the condition of a island or peninsula as mentioned in exception % #2-- if there is no backsplash

My point for discussion is whether I need to put receptacles on both sides of the sink "in the back splash", or can I satisfy code with receptacles on the ends of the island? There is granite on the back splash and I don't want to cut into it, if I don't have to.

I usually leave an "old work box" or two for the granite countertop installer to cut into the backsplash. They have the tools and expertise for the task.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The 2011 code changed the wording to only require one receptacle on an island, even if there is less than 12" behind the cooktop or sink.

I am afraid you don't have it correct. It states if there is 12" or more than only one receptacle is needed but 2 are required if the space behind the sink is less than 12"

(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be considered to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces. Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

euclid43

The gist of the matter on this post is: IS IT REQUIRED TO INSTALL RECEPTACLES IN COUNTER TOP BACK SPLASH ON AN ISLAND? (it's not a matter of how)

euclid43

And it has been answered twice by myself. Yes it is req. in the backsplash.

Your references are not good, and are pointing this issue in areas that don't apply (e.g. exception (1) and (2) regarding 210.52 (C)5; only applies to allowing not requiring a receptacle. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Your references are not good, and are pointing this issue in areas that don't apply (e.g. exception (1) and (2) regarding 210.52 (C)5; only applies to allowing not requiring a receptacle. Thanks.

I disagree- my reference is right on but I seem to detect an attitude so I will leave here at that.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
And it has been answered twice by myself. Yes it is req. in the backsplash.

OK please help me understand.

(2) Island Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle
shall be installed at each island countertop space with a
long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short
dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

But doesn't this allow me NOT to place it in the backsplash?

Exception to (5): To comply with the conditions specified in
(1) or (2), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be
mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop.
Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance
with this exception shall not be located where the
countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its
support base.

Sounds like I have a choice!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
OK please help me understand.

(2) Island Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle
shall be installed at each island countertop space with a
long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short
dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

But doesn't this allow me NOT to place it in the backsplash?

Exception to (5): To comply with the conditions specified in
(1) or (2), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be
mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop.
Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance
with this exception shall not be located where the
countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its
support base.

Sounds like I have a choice!

You did not read part 2 of the exception. Read that and tell me what you think

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the argument here is that a backsplash on a kitchen island is considered a wall?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So the argument here is that a backsplash on a kitchen island is considered a wall?
I don't think that is the argument at all, at least not for me. Art. 210.52(C)5 exception allows the recep. to be 12" below the counter if it is for handicap accessibility and for islands and peninsulas where the counter top is flat across the entire surface (no backsplash, ...) and there is no means to mount the receptacle above the cabinet such as an overhead cabinet.

IMO, if there is a backsplash then the recep. must be installed there.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
You did not read part 2 of the exception. Read that and tell me what you think

I don't think that is the argument at all, at least not for me. Art. 210.52(C)5 exception allows the recep. to be 12" below the counter if it is for handicap accessibility and for islands and peninsulas where the counter top is flat across the entire surface (no backsplash, ...) and there is no means to mount the receptacle above the cabinet such as an overhead cabinet.

IMO, if there is a backsplash then the recep. must be installed there.

I like your opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.