Receptacle for Island with Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

I have an island with a sink, and a granite back splash. All I am required to install is one receptacle if the distance from back of sink and edge is more than 12 inches, right? Furthermore, I am wondering if I need to install recepts on the back splash. This may only be applicable with wall space countertop right?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is this just a sink or an island cut in half by a sink. A sink in the middle of an island generally needs a receptacle on both side of the sink. If there were a wall with a backsplash I would have installed the receptacles there however there are other options/

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I use these alot. Drill a 1 3/4" hole and pop it in

New-StepSide-sm.jpg

images

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The code requires only one receptacle on an island, so why install more?
That is not exactly correct. If there is a sink or appliance - such as a range- that divides the counter top then each part needs an outlet unless the overhang behind the sink is 12" or more

euclid43

ok, then I will install one on the side of both ends; is that good? or do i need to install in granite backsplash?

euclid43

210.52 (C)5 (exception 2): mentions something about backsplash. Are they expecting requirements on countertop?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
210.52 (C)5 (exception 2): mentions something about backsplash. Are they expecting requirements on countertop?

I forgot about that-- I thought it said island and countertops--period but if there is a backsplash then the receptacles are required to be there not on the sides. Many inspectors allow them on the sides even on standard areas- no island or peninsula but it is non compliant.

hurk27

I have an island with a sink, and a granite back splash. All I am required to install is one receptacle if the distance from back of sink and edge is more than 12 inches, right? Furthermore, I am wondering if I need to install recepts on the back splash. This may only be applicable with wall space countertop right?

Above in red: Correct if there is at least 12" between the back of the sink and the opposite counter edge then you are back to one receptacle required, if you don't have the 12" and each space on each side of the sink is wider then 12" then one receptacle is required for each of these sections, see 210.52(C) and (C)(4)

The code requires only one receptacle on an island, so why install more?

Again see 210.52(C)(4)

ok, then I will install one on the side of both ends; is that good? or do i need to install in granite backsplash?

No need if you have the 12" behind the sink as you said in your first post?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I forgot about that-- I thought it said island and countertops--period but if there is a backsplash then the receptacles are required to be there not on the sides. Many inspectors allow them on the sides even on standard areas- no island or peninsula but it is non compliant.

If the counter top beside the sink is small, I mean you can put the receptacle on the side if you comply with the 24" rule.

euclid43

My point for discussion is whether I need to put receptacles on both sides of the sink "in the back splash", or can I satisfy code with receptacles on the ends of the island? There is granite on the back splash and I don't want to cut into it, if I don't have to.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
My point for discussion is whether I need to put receptacles on both sides of the sink "in the back splash", or can I satisfy code with receptacles on the ends of the island? There is granite on the back splash and I don't want to cut into it, if I don't have to.

You can 'if' you can satisfy 210.52(C)(1).

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I would ask the inspector --- most will let it go but technically the code requires it in the backsplash.

Disagree

(1) Wall Countertop Spaces. A receptacle outlet shall be
installed at each wall countertop space that is 300 mm
(12 in.) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so
that no point along the wall line
is more than 600 mm
(24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in
that space.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Disagree

that no point along the wall line
is more than 600 mm
that space.

I may be wrong

that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm
that space.

But this is an island so I do not think that a backsplash is a 'wall' or it would not be an island!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I would ask the inspector --- most will let it go but technically the code requires it in the backsplash.

I agree wholeheartedly. 210.52(C)(5) and exception 2 make it clear that the code requires us to install the receptacle above the counter unless we have nothing to mount it to, but in my experience most inspectors would allow the receptacle below the counter if there is a difficulty in mounting in a backsplash.

Status
Not open for further replies.