Happy 4th of July, everyone.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

That was when we parted ways with the 'old' world, and went on to set the standards that others aspire to. Indeed, even today, we're at least 10 cycles (60Hz vs. 50Hz) ahead of everyone else.
If it's like heartbeats, there is an average finite total. Use them up quicker and they won't last as long. You have been warned!

Of course, since Europe controlled the 'mainstream press' when Franklin flew his kite, the Continental elite quickly named all the measurement units after their major campaign contributors. Watts, Amperes, Faradays, and Volts really ought to have been called Washingtons, Americans, Franklins, and Chevys. Instead of "Hertz" we should have "Teslas." (Or, maybe, "Edisons" ... for a little irony)

[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should have caged Farady, put Ohm in an 'ome, kicked Hertz where it hurts, clamped Amp in irons, revolted on Volta, and done with Watt what you wanted. Instead, what did you do?
You embraced each and every one of them. So have only yourselves to blame!

:p:p

templdl

This is an Email that I received from Kostia Efimov a very good friend of mine who immegrated from Russia and is the keyboardest for the Virtuoso lead guitarist Daryl Stuermer of Genesis Rewired. Daryl also plays for the super-group GENESIS and PHIL COLLINS BAND -

This is what he sent me:

"Happy 4th of July, guys! Just thought you might enjoy interesting piece of American History trivia on this great day!

Question:
Who was first American President??? And it's NOT a trick question, btw - we are talking about OUR country - not Canada or Chile :)))

Answer:
The answer is not very obvious, as most people would think! Technically it WASN'T George Washington, believe it or not! But certainty stops right there! :))) 'Cause we are entering murky waters of pre-"US constitution" history of the US. The title "President of the United States" was coined in three stages.

It's all started with "President of Congress" (or "President of Continental Congress") - the president of 13 colonies, members of the Continental Congress. The term was undetermined (sorry for the pun :)))) - it had no specific duration. The first elected President was Peyton Randolph. He was elected THE first American President on September 5, 1774.

Now tricky part starts. 7 years later appears very important document in US history - "The Articles of Confederation". When presented to signatories - representatives of 13 colonies - the Articles of Confederation didn't have a stated uniformed date, next to which signatures would have to be placed. Therefore, all of the 13 documents were ratified at different times. When in March of 1781 all of them were ratified, the official name for "Continental Congress" became "The United States in Congress Assembled" , which elected new President under "Articles of Confederation" - hence first President of the United States (elected under Articles of Confederation) was representative from Maryland John Hanson. He was elected on November 7, 1781. His official title was "President of The United States in Congress Assembled".

Note, that the most famous of all Presidents of the United States before George Washington was John Hancock.

After Declaration of Independence was adopted Continental Congress was replaced by United States Congress, which had its 1st session on March 4, 1789.

On April 30 George Washington was inaugurated President of the United States - President of new officially INDEPENDENT country.

Happy 4th, guys!

Kisses to the girls, hugs to the guys :)))))))))

Special K :)))"

A Russian immegrant appreciates the USA. What about us?

renosteinke

I was at a gathering the other day, where there were many present who were new to the USA. I took the opportunity to suggest that we explain to our guests what made the USA special, what the 4th represented. Just a harmless throw-away line.

Today three customers have called, cancelling jobs because of my insulting comment. Rumbles were made referring to anti-discrimination statutes, etc. Loss to my (net) income, at this point, is about $2K. OK, not the end of the world ... but the feelings are very real.

On the flip side, I have received an outpouring of support. Many who simply thought my comment was trite, or 'corny,' are positively furious that the actions against me.

It's hard for me to believe that this has actually happened, or that I am now at the center of a firestorm. I was only trying to be nice, to be a good host- and some are responding as thought I had sacked Rome.

IMO, living / working in the USA without learning what makes us unique among nations is like going to Greece and not seeing the Parthenon. Why bother? And I sure wouldn't expect the Greeks to screen the Parthenon from sight, lest it offend some passerby.

Maybe the inmates are running the asylum.

jumper

This is an Email that I received from Kostia Efimov a very good friend of mine who immegrated from Russia and is the keyboardest for the Virtuoso lead guitarist Daryl Stuermer of Genesis Rewired. Daryl also plays for the super-group GENESIS and PHIL COLLINS BAND -

This is what he sent me:

"Happy 4th of July, guys! Just thought you might enjoy interesting piece of American History trivia on this great day!

Question:
Who was first American President??? And it's NOT a trick question, btw - we are talking about OUR country - not Canada or Chile :)))

Answer:
The answer is not very obvious, as most people would think! Technically it WASN'T George Washington, believe it or not! But certainty stops right there! :))) 'Cause we are entering murky waters of pre-"US constitution" history of the US. The title "President of the United States" was coined in three stages.

It's all started with "President of Congress" (or "President of Continental Congress") - the president of 13 colonies, members of the Continental Congress. The term was undetermined (sorry for the pun :)))) - it had no specific duration. The first elected President was Peyton Randolph. He was elected THE first American President on September 5, 1774.

Now tricky part starts. 7 years later appears very important document in US history - "The Articles of Confederation". When presented to signatories - representatives of 13 colonies - the Articles of Confederation didn't have a stated uniformed date, next to which signatures would have to be placed. Therefore, all of the 13 documents were ratified at different times. When in March of 1781 all of them were ratified, the official name for "Continental Congress" became "The United States in Congress Assembled" , which elected new President under "Articles of Confederation" - hence first President of the United States (elected under Articles of Confederation) was representative from Maryland John Hanson. He was elected on November 7, 1781. His official title was "President of The United States in Congress Assembled".

Note, that the most famous of all Presidents of the United States before George Washington was John Hancock.

After Declaration of Independence was adopted Continental Congress was replaced by United States Congress, which had its 1st session on March 4, 1789.

On April 30 George Washington was inaugurated President of the United States - President of new officially INDEPENDENT country.

Happy 4th, guys!

Kisses to the girls, hugs to the guys :)))))))))

Special K :)))"

A Russian immegrant appreciates the USA. What about us?

Cool post.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.