Happy 4th of July, everyone.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
now, quick... can we make this electrically related before a mod kills it?

:happyyes:

enjoy the time off, and if you have to work, price accordingly.... :eek:hmy:
and remember that freedom isn't free, neither is giving up your freedom
'cause someone's power went off..

we have a block party here, and i'm making a traditonal american favorite....

hot dogs....

the weiners are fresh stuffed spicy italian snausage, got a whole coil of them
to BBQ tomorrow... buns are italian bread, condiments are yarlsburg cheese,
and marinara sauce instead of ketchup... a true american classic....!

enjoy.

Gac66610

well, happy Independence day to you

I do have a (hopefully) quick meeting at 9am, going over a service located remotely from the house. Have not even seen plans for the house yet.
Shouldn't take an hour, then I'm off.

Sounds like good food and friends, so if you dont mind I'll grab my wifes uncles cousins girlfriends dads brothers wifes nephews private jet and can be there by 2pm:thumbsup:
(don't wait for me):happyno:

Have a safe holiday

now, quick... can we make this electrically related before a mod kills it?

Sure.. the standard "electric match" (e-match) used for triggering display fireworks needs at least 350ma to fire and must not fire at up to 200ma. Resistance is usually around 1.5 ohm.

The simple electric firing systems use 12v batteries and 24g telco cable to connect the fire panel to the racks, but some systems use up to 48v to make up for line loss. And there's always discussion about wiring e-matches in parallel or series.

(I spent last weekend hand-firing displays at two shows, have one on the 4th and another on the 7th. Hand firing is more fun. :D)

Have fun but also be safe.

Besoeker

To all of you who have to contend with 120V, 208V, 240V, 277V, 480V and 60Hz.....

Happy independence day to y'all!!

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Happy Independence day to all, despite seatbelt laws and TSA etc this is probably still the free-est nation in the world as it has been all my life.

So today I'm not going to run any emt conduit nor tubing:D:angel:

renosteinke

It's a good opportunity to remember what makes the 4th so special.

That was when we parted ways with the 'old' world, and went on to set the standards that others aspire to. Indeed, even today, we're at least 10 cycles (60Hz vs. 50Hz) ahead of everyone else.

Of course, since Europe controlled the 'mainstream press' when Franklin flew his kite, the Continental elite quickly named all the measurement units after their major campaign contributors. Watts, Amperes, Faradays, and Volts really ought to have been called Washingtons, Americans, Franklins, and Chevys. Instead of "Hertz" we should have "Teslas." (Or, maybe, "Edisons" ... for a little irony)

Let us not forget the great 1992 bipartisan "Separation of Electricity" act. That's why electricity is classed as either 'DC' (during Clinton) or 'AC' (after Clinton).

Where to go from here? Well, there's the LEED (Let's Equalize Electrical Demand) Act, where you'll pay the same high bill, no matter how much electricity you don't use.

As they say in Chicago ... you have the right to vote. Use it. Early - and often. Death is no excuse.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Thanks, it's going to be a hot one!

Several cities in Michigan now over 100 degrees. It's 92 here. To keep things in perspective, it has never been 100 degrees in the county I live in since they have been keeping track of the temperature.

That sounds nice now, but it has never been colder than -9 here... January average is 40?. I read that it was -51 there at one time in Vanderbilt. I'm not man enough for that cold weather.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That sounds nice now, but it has never been colder than -9 here... January average is 40?. I read that it was -51 there at one time in Vanderbilt. I'm not man enough for that cold weather.

I don't know what the state record is, but I have seen it -20 here several times in my life. The winters used to be brutal. A snowfall of 100 inches in a season was not unheard of.

Every year we get closer and closer to a snow free winter. Last year we had a green Christmas and New Year. The year before that it was over 50 degrees on New Years Day.

It's getting much warmer here. I sure don't miss the arctic winters of my childhood.

Besoeker

Don't be a hater just because you have limited choices. :D
Ah, you must know by know that I chose an American wife so no reason to hate anything American!
But I do feel just a teeny weeny wee bit sorry that you lot have to deal with such a plethora of voltages with attendant compatibility concerns.
Here, everything single phase is 230V. Cookers, printers, heaters, televisions, lights, vacuum cleaners..........and stuff
Simple innit guv?
:p

Trust that you had a good day.

sii

Thanks, it's going to be a hot one!

Several cities in Michigan now over 100 degrees. It's 92 here. To keep things in perspective, it has never been 100 degrees in the county I live in since they have been keeping track of the temperature.

Made it to 99 here today, hasn't broke 100 yet this year but it will probably this week.

I dropped my 14 YO son off at 4:30 this morning for a nine-hour day of detasseling, then went home and back to bed. I almost felt guilty when I had to pull the covers up because the AC had the house a little on the chilly side. Oh well, at least he gets paid double-time for working the holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.