black tape on white wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ufer

I had an inspection on a service today. 200 amp house power panel. The inspector said I had to put
black tape on the white wire of the #10-2 feed to the water heater. I said that only applied to 120
volt circuits. Was I right?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I had an inspection on a service today. 200 amp house power panel. The inspector said I had to put
black tape on the white wire of the #10-2 feed to the water heater. I said that only applied to 120

In 2008 you both would have been wrong but he is correct in the 2011.

(C) Circuits of 50 Volts or More. The use of insulation
that is white or gray or that has three continuous white
stripes for other than a grounded conductor for circuits of
50 volts or more shall be permitted only as in (1) and (2).
(1) If part of a cable assembly that has the insulation permanently
reidentified to indicate its use as an ungrounded
conductor by marking tape, painting, or other
effective means at its termination and at each location
where the conductor is visible and accessible. Identification
shall encircle the insulation and shall be a color
other than white, gray, or green.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In 2008 you both would have been wrong but he is correct in the 2011.

stripes for other than a grounded conductor for circuits of
50 volts or more shall be permitted only as in (1) and (2).
(1) If part of a cable assembly that has the insulation permanently
reidentified to indicate its use as an ungrounded
conductor by marking tape, painting, or other
effective means at its termination and at each location
where the conductor is visible and accessible. Identification
shall encircle the insulation and shall be a color
other than white, gray, or green.

I think the 2008 means the same thing. The 2011 just clarifies it a little.

stripes for other than a grounded conductor for circuits
of 50 volts or more shall be permitted only as in (1)
through (3).
(1) If part of a cable assembly and where the insulation is
permanently reidentified to indicate its use as an ungrounded
conductor, by painting or other effective
means
at its termination, and at each location where the

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not trying to be sarcastic but think about this-- why would you put black tape on a white wire if it were 120V. The idea is to mark the white wire of a cable as an ungrounded (hot) conductor. It should be taped another color if the circuit is 240V so that someone doesn't mistake the white wire as a neutral.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Not trying to be sarcastic but think about this-- why would you put black tape on a white wire if it were 120V. The idea is to mark the white wire of a cable as an ungrounded (hot) conductor. It should be taped another color if the circuit is 240V so that someone doesn't mistake the white wire as a neutral.

Even red tape would work good for that.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I think the 2008 means the same thing. The 2011 just clarifies it a little.

stripes for other than a grounded conductor for circuits
of 50 volts or more shall be permitted only as in (1)
through (3).
(1) If part of a cable assembly and where the insulation is
permanently reidentified to indicate its use as an ungrounded
conductor, by painting or other effective
means at its termination, and at each location where the

Some said that tape was not permanent so that is why it was added.

That's why I carry this:

marker.jpg

Last edited:

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

as an inspector, i have tradespeople second guess my calls all the time. i worked as sparky prior to this gig ( commercial/industrial and residential) i am familier with my code book, and electrical installation requirements. i know where to find it in the code book, i can show it to them. 99% of the time, they don't have a code book in the truck. pretty damn pathetic imo. if you don't have a code book, get one, read it, learn it, know it and apply it. if you are an electrician, or an inspector , that 's your job, never stop learning

realolman

I'm not going to argue that you don't need to mark the white wire, but what is the point?

10/2 Romex: 1 wire is white and one is black.

what's the point of marking the wire? to prevent what?

Last edited:

ufer

I was referring to a switch loop. I see no reason to mark a white wire with black or red tape when it is connected to a breaker.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I see no reason to mark a white wire with black or red tape when it is connected to a breaker.

What about the code requirements of 200.7 to do so?

On a switch loop, the marked white wire can only feed the switch, not the return to the fixture.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
as an inspector, i have tradespeople second guess my calls all the time. i worked as sparky prior to this gig ( commercial/industrial and residential) i am familier with my code book, and electrical installation requirements. i know where to find it in the code book, i can show it to them. 99% of the time, they don't have a code book in the truck. pretty damn pathetic imo. if you don't have a code book, get one, read it, learn it, know it and apply it. if you are an electrician, or an inspector , that 's your job, never stop learning

Well said, thanks!
A lot of my students don't have code books, its sad...

ufer

Well said, thanks!
A lot of my students don't have code books, its sad...
You and Pedro are making a lot of assumptions from my question. I did not second guess the inspector,I simply asked for clarification of the code. I DO have a code book and I keep one in the truck.
I have also found that some inspectors don't know the code and I have corrected them when they were wrong. I don't know every code and don't ever expect to but I do try to stay up to date. I knew the code section of the question I asked and I thought this only applied to marking the white wire on a switch loop. Thanks for the clarification.

fmtjfw

The idea of marking a white or gray wire in a cable is really simple:

The idea of marking a white or gray wire in a cable is really simple:

1) white or gray are reserved for conductor that is grounded and is a current carrying conductor.

2) when, the white or gray conductor is not used for that purpose, you mark it with a color other than white, gray, or green.

This gives the next electrician (who may be you) an indication that it may be energized.

In terms of not marking switch leg whites in MA, how bloody expensive is 1 inch of tape?

Inspector

Inspector

Let me inject the article that the original post asked for. ART,200.7(C)(1) SIMPLY STATES THAT A MUTILWIRE CABLE ASSIBELY. The white wire being used as an ungrounded coductor. It shall be re-identified as to indicate the use @ terminating points (this would include but not limited to the breaker) this color shall be any other color other than white, gray, or green.

Status
Not open for further replies.