Bending 2 1/2" EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

I have a run of 2 1/2" emt and need a slight kick in the conduit ( less than 22.5 degree ) does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this by hand. I wedged a piece between the building and a ballard post but ended up with a nice kink.

plumb bob

You need to try to roll it over something with a bigger diameter than a bollard. Think truck tire or something of that nature. Big round column. Or, many, many, many, many, small kicks on the bollard. Swallow your pride, call a bigger competitor and ask them if you can use their bender. Or rent one.

Gac66610

we once needed a piece of 2" RMC just took it to a muffler shop, they were happy to help .... didnt charge much as i recall

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have a run of 2 1/2" emt and need a slight kick in the conduit ( less than 22.5 degree ) does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this by hand. I wedged a piece between the building and a ballard post but ended up with a nice kink.
There are ways, they are certainly make do. I have never tried them but my mentor, A San Francisco local 6 geezer (who I loved like a Dad! RIP Big O), told my rope and sandbags and sawhorses. The real trick is to put something in the conduit to prevent the kinking, what he toalked about was winding the rope back and forth until it is jambed in the conduit. I speculate that sand and a couple of conduit pennies to hold it in, you could be successful. Then you suspend between sawhorses and hang sndbags until the pipe bends. You can help it out with your own weight. With the sand in the pipe you should also be better able to use a truck tire. As I said, I never had to do it myself. Any thoughts.

2-1/2" and up EMT and GRC are the same outside diameter. The EMT couplings and connectors have EMT/IMC/GRC stamped on them as they are rated for all of those conduits.
I have used a piece of GRC to make a bend and substituted it in the EMT run with two couplings. The GRC doesn't kink as quickly as EMT.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
There are ways, they are certainly make do. I have never tried them but my mentor, A San Francisco local 6 geezer (who I loved like a Dad! RIP Big O), told my rope and sandbags and sawhorses. The real trick is to put something in the conduit to prevent the kinking, what he toalked about was winding the rope back and forth until it is jambed in the conduit. I speculate that sand and a couple of conduit pennies to hold it in, you could be successful. Then you suspend between sawhorses and hang sndbags until the pipe bends. You can help it out with your own weight. With the sand in the pipe you should also be better able to use a truck tire. As I said, I never had to do it myself. Any thoughts.

My first thought was 'is that how the pyramids were built?'

Then I got to the truck tire part.

Status
Not open for further replies.