Vertical Runs of EMT conduit...how to support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng

I have a lab area with a 24' high ceiling. we need to feed all equipment from above. Some equipment is located in the middle of the room. Are there any options as far as vertically running EMT from the ceiling down to the equipment? How does this need to be supported? NEC requires every 10'. Would there need to be a threaded rod with a section of unistrut that the conduits can mount to?

Thanks

Eng

I have a lab area with a 24' high ceiling. we need to feed all equipment from above. Some equipment is located in the middle of the room. Are there any options as far as vertically running EMT from the ceiling down to the equipment? How does this need to be supported? NEC requires every 10'. Would there need to be a threaded rod with a section of unistrut that the conduits can mount to?

Thanks

Or would this be a good option for use of an SO cord with a Kellems strain relief? What is an acceptacle length of vertical cable to be connected via Kellems strain relief?

T

taylorp

Eng:

Have you considered a cable tray system (Article 392)? You could drop down from above, and then have horizontal runs to reach your equipment in the middle of the lab. No matter which system you choose you are going to have to support it somehow.

I don't like the idea of SO cord drops from the ceiling. The problem with SO is that it rots in 2 to 3 years and you will spend a lot of time replacing it because the outer jacket is crumbling to pieces.

The problem with SO is that it rots in 2 to 3 years and you will spend a lot of time replacing it because the outer jacket is crumbling to pieces.

It does? I've got 20 year old SO cords that are in pretty good shape. If you're worried about light exposure, there are sunlight-resistant cords, like SuperVuTron.

That said, if the equipment is fixed, then either RMC or strut-support EMT are probably better. If you need more than just power to those locations and have to put the LV in pipe, then I'd do strut/EMT.

tkb

If you have lab equipment, it is likely that there will be other thing like air, water or other gasses needed at the same location.

Why not have strut from floor to ceiling to support all of the systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.