grounding MCC to building structural steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobo

what are the code requirements for grounding a M:dunce:CC to building
structural steel? And where in the code is it found?

The MCC will be fed from an 800A breaker in switchgear.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would you need to bond the MCC to the building steel? If the service is bonded to the steel then the MCC would not have to be. Maybe there is something I don't know about this- let's see what others say

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
what are the code requirements for grounding a M:dunce:CC to building
structural steel? And where in the code is it found?

The MCC will be fed from an 800A breaker in switchgear.

Unless it is also the service equipment for the building (or an SDS), there is no such code requirement.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is very common for industrial specs to require all large electrical equipment to be bonded to the building steel in addition to the code required EGC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It is very common for industrial specs to require all large electrical equipment to be bonded to the building steel in addition to the code required EGC.

We recently inspected a new auto manufacturing facility and every one of the hundreds of MCCs required a 4/0 back to structural steel. A few of the contractors overlooked that on their bids and the tears were flowing.

mobo

He did not ask about specs though.

I wonder why such a thing would be found in a spec. What possible benefit is there to doing this?

talked to a pla.t personnel, who is no engineer, and he said they're very overkill on grounding here, but was the only explanation given.

can anybody give a code reference for the 4/0 wire? I'm waiting on feedback
from our office from one of our guys who is an electrical engineer. He's working in an undergound mine today so it'll probably be late before i hear from him.

i found this site and thought i'd hear some input from others in the field.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

can anybody give a code reference for the 4/0 wire? ...
Strictly a design choice if the MCC does not contain the service or SDS (separately derived system) disconnecting means. As such, no Code reference can be given. The largest GEC (grounding electrode conductor) required by Code is 3/0 Cu (250kcmil Al) per 250.66. An EGC (equipment grounding conductor) can be much larger under 250.122 (but not the issue here).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I did a project once where the engineering company required a 2/0 ground lug on everything, including junction boxes and control panels. it was very strange to see a control panel with a 10A, 120V power feed with a ground lug on the sheet iron sized for 2/0.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Of course, if the plans spec 4/0 then you must use what was designed and approved. As stated the NEC does not req. more than a 3/0 in any case. Table 250.66 is for GEC

dicklaxt

I haven't been involved in SubStation design in quite some time but if I remember correctly ,oft times the Job General Specications will list all standards and codes the design engr'ng company must follow and adhere to.............IEEE is or was usually one of those listed and the document standard within was quite extensive.I don't recall the # or name of the standard.Owner Plant standasrds were also in the mix.

dick

mobo

good input guys, our engineer finally got back with me and pretty much said the same thing. Said the code is grey on the issue and that we're gonna go with 4/0

The specs simply said "per NEC requirements". problem is, like stated, the NEC
is grey on the issue. so, 4/0 it is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
good input guys, our engineer finally got back with me and pretty much said the same thing. Said the code is grey on the issue and that we're gonna go with 4/0

The specs simply said "per NEC requirements". problem is, like stated, the NEC
is grey on the issue. so, 4/0 it is.

The NEC is not gray on this issue. 3/0 is all that is required for a GEC if you are talking copper conductor.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The NEC is not gray on this issue. 3/0 is all that is required for a GEC if you are talking copper conductor.
The NEC gets blamed for everything.:)

The City of Chicago code would require this bonding jumper to be sized to the 'area of the circuit conductors', they do not stop at 3/0 like the NEC does.

Status
Not open for further replies.