Mistakes that cost you money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unytko

I have two

I have two

Years ago I was sent to replace old ceiling fan with with new (for a VIP)- it was in the M bedroom over very expensive white furry rug, we decided not to use floor protection since it was supposed to be a clean in and out job - well that old fan was filled up with the oil
that most of end up on that rug :(...... price $800 for a magician that made it disappear ....

I got new helper for the project in one of the high rise buildings- at the demo phase he managed to cut the main tele/comm riser that ran through one of the closets ...500 pair cable/2,000 connections ...:( I was color blind for a wile, since then working with Cat-5s is pleasure ....
Peace,

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We had a guy bought some MI cable once to make up an extension cord for use in a classified area. He was planning to put a regular 5-15 plug on the end of it. Same guy bought an XP starter with a 2" NPT hole in it for a piece of conduit that needed to be 1/2". Did you know there are no reducing bushings from 2" to 1/2"?

nhfire77

We had a guy bought some MI cable once to make up an extension cord for use in a classified area. He was planning to put a regular 5-15 plug on the end of it. Same guy bought an XP starter with a 2" NPT hole in it for a piece of conduit that needed to be 1/2". Did you know there are no reducing bushings from 2" to 1/2"?

If I hadn't just bought that size, I would have thought so too: (XP rated)

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=RE61TB

SIRSPARKSALOT

I'll share another. I had a helper that was using a a 6' long flex bit to drill down through a bottom plate. After drilling down he took the drill out of the wall and went to lay it on the floor. As the tip of the drill hit the floor he hit the trigger of the drill by mistake. The worm of the bit grabbed the berber carpet and pulled a run out of the carpet that ran from one side of the room to the other. :slaphead:

Luckily, the homeowner (who was standing right there and watching) said not to worry about it. They had just moved in and his wife hated berber carpet. The new carpet was being installed the following day.

This one had no money involved. :D

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This may be an electrical urban legend, but there is a story about a sparky that drilled up through a floor into the leg of a grand piano. It is funny, but every grand piano I have seen had wheels.

The story would be more believable if it was about a table leg instead of a piano leg.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I'll share another. I had a helper that was using a a 6' long flex bit to drill down through a bottom plate. After drilling down he took the drill out of the wall and went to lay it on the floor. As the tip of the drill hit the floor he hit the trigger of the drill by mistake. The worm of the bit grabbed the berber carpet and pulled a run out of the carpet that ran from one side of the room to the other. :slaphead:

Luckily, the homeowner (who was standing right there and watching) said not to worry about it. They had just moved in and his wife hated berber carpet. The new carpet was being installed the following day.

This one had no money involved. :D

I did that at my sister's cottage only I was drilling up from the attic. I pulled about 10 feet of a single 'thread' out. I was more upset about it than she was. The damage was hardly noticable, but I know it's there. It's a beach cottage she rents out and she knows that the carpet will have to be changed soon enough.

But still.....

Status
Not open for further replies.