First year apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a first year apprentice, I would like to know what is out there for me to be studying while not a work. I have not had any schooling yet and will start in September. So far all I have been doing for the last three months in pulling home runs. Thats all fine but I want to start understanding more about 2nd circuits, three way swiching, dead end swiches and more. I really enjoy the work thus far but want to know more. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would look at the mikeholt.com site and check out his books but I would also get a free subscription to EC&M magazine . ​If you don't mind reading it online they are available there also

masterinbama

Don't be afraid to ask questions at work and here. The fact that you want to learn in and of itself is a big plus. Absorb as much information as you possibly can.

As my mentor in the trade so many many years ago said.

"Show me a man that didn't learn something today, I'll show you a man that didn't pay attention."

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
"Show me a man that didn't learn something today, I'll show you a man that didn't pay attention."
Two thumbs up!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

First year apprentice, It would not be a bad idea to actually read the NEC. I know it isn't as thrilling as some books, but it is interesting.

John120/240

Two thumbs up!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

First year apprentice, It would not be a bad idea to actually read the NEC. I know it isn't as thrilling as some books, but it is interesting.

Well said. Hands on work experience and reading the NEC will ignite your interest. So that

is why we do this task this way & not that way.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Every day try to look up in the code book what you will be doing the next day or what you did that day.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Every day try to look up in the code book what you will be doing the next day or what you did that day.

When I was a first year apprentice that would have been chasing for parts, sweeping the floor, cutting uni-strut, bending stub 90s and soaping wire pulls.

Best advice I can give is to read this forum. I sure wish I would have had someting like this when I was a first year apprentice.

thanks gents

thanks gents

so I got to wire the garage today.... The outlets no problem. I get that part but moving to the lighting. A side door and the door going into the the house or mud room. All the books I look at say this should be a three way switch, From the front door to the mud room door. However this is the way I was told to do it. I ran a home run of 14-2 to the panal for the home run. I get that part. then a two wire for power to the switch by the side door from the 3gang in the mud room(where the home run is) than one more two wire from three gang in the mud room to the two gang by the side door. These are travlers? for some reason I just cant get my brain wrapped around it. My journeymen said dont worry about it for know but I really want to know how it works. Any advise as to where I could see a picture of it or somewhere on the web that explains it would be great or if any of you want to take the time to explain it.

Thank you,

Todd

cadpoint

I'd go in Article 300 and read about the various wire types. In the end where here for the wire! :)

Google is your friend, use image and the article number as a search most times many an image will display.

In Google Image, I also use the phrase "diagram _____ " or like, diagram electricial switching.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Welcome to the forum.

There are some really great books out there especially the illustrated NEC. Make sure you look at the current code used in the area where you work. There are many changes from code year to year. You will need to know what is applicable to your location and or State.

not to confuse you but FYI, Some states have adopted the 2011 version of the code while others are still using the 2005 or even earlier.

Good luck! Good learning.

Last edited:
This is what you need know to wire 3-way switches:

The two travelers go from switch to switch only.
Line (hot from panel) goes to one switch.
Load (the light) goes to the other switch.
The odd color screw on the switch is for the line/load.

If you needed a 4- way as well, only the travelers are switched by the 4-way. It just reverses the two travelers.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

get a copy of "electricity one-seven" author mileaf. great book, covers theory a ll the way through. also read your code book. get a note book, thumb through your nec ( tab it!) and write down each article number and article name, you will know where to look stuff up ( it works) because this will implant the information in your brain. (read it, write it down,read it again) one article a day, or part of an article a day, when you are starting a new job/wiring method read up on it. start looking at box sizes and grounding requirements. the more confused you gewt now, the better, get your questions answered. first year is very foundational. start apprenticeship, sit in front of the class, pay attention and do well!

I cant thank you enough Gents!

I cant thank you enough Gents!

Thanks for all the great info guys! I will take any and all advise I can. I really want to do well and prove to my journeymen that I am a asset.

Thepoteet

Get an Uglys and a Doctor Watts to read and they are both small enough to keep with your tools and like someone has already said read the NEC code every day and try to read about what you did that day or are gonna do the next day.

Last edited:

dchristopher

Good Books to learn from

Good Books to learn from

I just finished my apprenticeship a few months ago. I looked for books when I was just starting out to. Go to your local library, I found they had several good books. Also look for this book, it has great illustrations for switching. Electrical wiring Residential by Ray C. Mullin. If you are going to be doing commercial industrial I would study some basic Math like fractions and then move to trigonometry.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is the most typical way to do 3 ways in a residential job.

27570d1263915915-3-way-switch-question-3-way-wiring-diagram.gif

Stevareno

not to confuse you but FYI, Some states have adopted the 2011 version of the code while others are still using the 2005 or even earlier.
Shouldn't be confusing. If the OP learns and applies 2011 code, he'll most likely be in compliance for previous code versions, right?

This is the most typical way to do 3 ways in a residential job.

Maybe the job required the hot to be fed to the second box for some reason.
Then it would make sense to run two 2 wire cables from switch box to switch box. One to carry the hot and neutral and the other for the travelers.

Edit: Unless... Is there such a thing as 4 wire NM cable? :p

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Then it would make sense to run two 2 wire cables from switch box to switch box. One to carry the hot and neutral and the other for the travelers.

I would still run a 2 wire and a 3 way cable to avoid emf's .

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Shouldn't be confusing. If the OP learns and applies 2011 code, he'll most likely be in compliance for previous code versions, right?

Edit: Unless... Is there such a thing as 4 wire NM cable? :p
There is. Two hots and two neutrals plus a ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.