Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a codes that states that you can not put 2- white and 2- black wires on a recepticle or do they have to be pigtailed in the device box,so there dont feed thru the outet

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Receptacles are 20 amp feed through... no splices required, unless a multi wired branch circuit is involved.
300.13 Mechanical and Electrical Continuity — Conductors.
(B) Device Removal. In multiwire branch circuits, the
continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on
device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and
so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt
the continuity.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Rather vague... :roll:

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

Yes! ;) You know I like to make people think. I think it helps. And yes if they ask I will explain more.

He asked what "code" and that is the correct "code".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
110.3(B).
If you follow that up by looking at the UL Guide Information for Receptacles (RTRT), you will find that using the receptacle as a splice point it permited by the listing and labeling instructions. The only issue is the code issue about not using the device to splice the grounded conductor of a multi-wire circuit.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Rather vague... :roll:

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

Find a duplex receptacle with only one set of screws. :)

If you follow that up by looking at the UL Guide Information for Receptacles (RTRT), you will find that using the receptacle as a splice point it permited by the listing and labeling instructions. The only issue is the code issue about not using the device to splice the grounded conductor of a multi-wire circuit.

Who said duplex?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I did, why? I think every electrician knew what the OP's intended question was regarding without the necessity of tearing a simple question down under a microscope to dissect to improper code language...

Why make this so HARD? it was a simple question.....

Because that is what we do here. I assume nothing. What if he meant a single and put two wires 'counter-clockwise' :happyno: under a terminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.