Bedroom Switched Receptacles in lie of!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartdmc

Section 210-70 (Exception-1) states in part, " One or more receptacle controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lie of a lighting outlet"
My question is simple,
If I have a lighting outlet i.e. a ceiling fan with a light kit, can I "DELETE" the wall switched receptacle in the bedrooms? Or, must I have in addition to the lighting outlet a switch wall receptacle?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Section 210-70 (Exception-1) states in part, " One or more receptacle controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lie of a lighting outlet"
My question is simple,
If I have a lighting outlet i.e. a ceiling fan with a light kit, can I "DELETE" the wall switched receptacle in the bedrooms? Or, must I have in addition to the lighting outlet a switch wall receptacle?

Thanks.

No need to keep the switched receptacle since you have a ceiling outlet for lighting. Or are you asking can you do away with the wall switch and use the remote as the wall switch? IMO that would be compliant.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In Lieu of means , if you do this you do not need to do that. So you do not need to use switched recpts if you have a switched lighting outlet. Also If the ceiling fan does not have a seperatly switched light it will not count as the light.

stuartdmc

No need to keep the switched receptacle since you have a ceiling outlet for lighting. Or are you asking can you do away with the wall switch and use the remote as the wall switch? IMO that would be compliant.

That's what I wanted to hear. I knew you needed to have a switched receptacle, but i didn't know if it was mandatory to keep even with the additional lighting outlets.

Thank you.
Stuart.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't understand how a remote is a wall switch.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don the circuit breaker could be the switch

Sorry DA, The required switch must must be a wall switch , I don't think that a Breaker would fit that definition. Futhermore in the exeception ( 2008 NEC) " customary Location"

why is there the need to deviate from the norm.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sorry DA, The required switch must must be a wall switch , I don't think that a Breaker would fit that definition. Futhermore in the exeception ( 2008 NEC) " customary Location"

why is there the need to deviate from the norm.

A breaker is a switch and the code does not state that it must be in the room. The exception is for Occupancy Sensor and of course they would need to be in the area of the room.

Also where does it state that the switch needs to be near the light.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
So a panel is also now an:

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is
taken to supply utilization equipment.

Never mind you can just have the switch floating in the air because 210.70 does not require it to be in a "box".

Lets put it on the pole like Green Acres.

thCAR370NC.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Dennis, do you really think you would get an official ruling that would allow the bedroom light switch to be in the garage, or the be the breaker in the banel outside.
You said here we go.

This is your fault. :lol:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Well if you are using the breaker as a switch its a outlet.

Sounds like I could put a jamb switch on the front door and turn all my lights on! Does it count as a motion switch since the door moves to activate it?
I'm sorry but a switch is not an outlet.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well if you are using the breaker as a switch its a outlet.

Sounds like I could put a jamb switch on the front door and turn all my lights on! Does it count as a motion switch since the door moves to activate it?

May work in some places but not in Ca as it would violate the energy code.

Status
Not open for further replies.