Art 645

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec_eng

If this installation is deemed compliant with 645, then it supercedes the related items in Chapters 1-4.

Ron,

I thought it that way first but as you pointed out earlier, art 645 doesn't modify 300.22(C)(1) and 368.10(B)(2). Actually, it doesn't mention the busway at all. So don't they still apply?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I quoted 2005 because thats what i'm under here and what I have for reference.
I understand... but if the OP installation is under 2011, the slight differences could determine compliance vs violation.

Going back to those 2005 comments for a moment, 645.5(B) applies to all, not just what is above floor. 2008 clarifies this by inserting 645.5(D)(3): "Supply cords of listed information technology equipment in accordance with 645.5(B)."

As I said, the "outlet" point is debatable. My opinion differs than yours and I doubt a few words from me is going to change that.

If the yoked receptacle were installed at the busplug, the wiring after that point is interconnecting cable...
Not interconnecting cable. Interconnecting cable goes from IT unit to IT unit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ron,

I thought it that way first but as you pointed out earlier, art 645 doesn't modify 300.22(C)(1) and 368.10(B)(2). Actually, it doesn't mention the busway at all. So don't they still apply?
You have not established whether or not the underfloor space is a plenum. We do not read minds (at least I don't).

__dan

Not interconnecting cable. Interconnecting cable goes from IT unit to IT unit.

With that I agree fully.

In the 2005 NEC, it's in the same paragraph (I'm sure you're well aware) "Cables other than those covered in (D)(2) ..." which goes on to list type DP in raceway or TC in cable tray ...

The demark point is where the field wiring under the NEC stops and the manufacturer supplied and listed equipment starts. NEC lists wiring methods to the outlet and cord in raceway after that point (2005). The plug and cord would have to fall under the manufacturer's equipment listing (supplied with the equipment) because it's not listed in the NEC as field wiring. Field wiring of cord to the outlet is not listed as compliant.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

In the 2005 NEC, it's in the same paragraph (I'm sure you're well aware) "Cables other than those covered in (D)(2) ..." which goes on to list type DP in raceway or TC in cable tray ...

The demark point is where the field wiring under the NEC stops and the manufacturer supplied and listed equipment starts. NEC lists wiring methods to the outlet and cord in raceway after that point (2005). The plug and cord would have to fall under the manufacturer's equipment listing (supplied with the equipment) because it's not listed in the NEC as field wiring. Field wiring of cord to the outlet is not listed as compliant.
That's why I said let's stick with the appropriate NEC edition for the OP. 2008 and 2011 editions change the requirements enough to permit cord as a compliant wiring method under raised floors...

...though not enough to say a female cord cap is the outlet. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.