The sewing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

I was away on business at the back end of July/early August - maybe more on that another day.
In the meantime, Mrs B bid for a sewing machine on ebay.
She lost the bid but the winner pulled out so she had a second chance and decided to get it.
A 1953 Singer in a beautiful wooden cabinet. That alone was worth the ?29 (about $48) she paid for it.
We went to collect it, struggled to get it the car but just did.
The cabinet was in nice condition.
The wiring - not so much. It was in a parlous state. Shame but I didn't take pictures of that.

As we were leaving, the guy selling it advised us not to power it up without finding an electrical engineer to check it out.
"Oh!" I said to Mrs B.
"Wonder where we can find one of those?"
"I might know one," she replied looking me in the eye with not a flicker of a smile.
Wasted on the seller.

Anyway, the original wiring was rubber insulated (TRS here) and much of that was perished. Given the age, the original plug would have been round pin and not fitted the square pin now used. At some point that had been removed as in the cable cut and a new bit of cable just twisted to the old and a minimal bit of insulating tape used. Some other bits were reconnected in a similar Heath-Robinson fashion.

To start with, I thought the machine, as connected might have been operational so my plan was just replace the wiring, make good connections and job done. But a few of the terminations had fallen apart and, from the best I could make of them, they didn't look as if they could have been right. And no connection diagram. And no earth (ground) wire.

So, back to basics. A light, a motor and a controller. Not too complicated so I did a temporary job wiring it as I thought it ought to be wired, the objective being to ensure it worked. And it did. Beautifully smooth and quiet. It's been a nice little project but work and pleasant family commitments have delayed completion. Now that I know it works, I'll tidy it up this weekend.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I bought an old singer treadle machine 30 years ago. A rectangular box which open flat with all the different feet for sewing. Still sitting upstairs collecting dust with the wind up phonograph

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
One of my jobs in my previous employment was "sewing machine tech/mechanic". I still get asked to look at machines on occasion.
I usually try to look from a distance!:p

I try not to mention to anyone that I know anything about a sewing machine. We had industrial machines and when people with home machines hear you say anything about knowing how to work on machines they come out of the woodwork.
The basics are the same but the home machines are much harder to get/find parts for. Also a lot of plastic parts. Some parts you would have to cut the machine apart to replace the part. I think they just took parts and molded a case around it. :happyno:

The older home machines were built much better than the new ones, even with all the fancy stitch settings.
If the older ones were kept cleaned and well oiled, there was little that ever needed replacing other than maybe the hook or bobbin case if they were used a lot.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I think there might be some minimum insulation value for the electric sewing machine to be checked with the relevant standard. Incidentally, I once went to check a servo voltage stabilizer ordered for a telephone exchange in a factory. Our Indian standard specified a minimum of 5 Mega ohms. But during test, I found value of around 2M ohms only. The stabilizer was opened and found a defective washer in it. The washer was replaced and the insulation value became satisfactory.

Besoeker

I try not to mention to anyone that I know anything about a sewing machine. We had industrial machines and when people with home machines hear you say anything about knowing how to work on machines they come out of the woodwork.
Sometimes I come across a similar sort of thing. In this country the term "engineer" is very loosely applied to anything from a mechanical fitter to the guy who fixes photocopiers or vending machines.
As a consequence a professional engineer is usually accorded a fairly low status by those who don't know otherwise - and that seems to be the majority of the people.
If I tell them I'm an electrical engineer the get the notion that I do something like repairs to washing machines. It's a lot different on your side of the pond.

The basics are the same but the home machines are much harder to get/find parts for. Also a lot of plastic parts. Some parts you would have to cut the machine apart to replace the part. I think they just took parts and molded a case around it. :happyno:

The older home machines were built much better than the new ones, even with all the fancy stitch settings.
If the older ones were kept cleaned and well oiled, there was little that ever needed replacing other than maybe the hook or bobbin case if they were used a lot.

I agree with that. If I do need any replacement mechanical parts, I can probably get them made in our mechanical workshop which is fairly comprehensively equipped.

ritelec

the old one, a Singer or a White I think, is a pedal to electric conversion, so it works with or without electricity.

Any buyers?

My grandmother had one, thank you for the memories.

"my" opinion........use it esthetically. If there's real sewing to be done, go get a brand new machine that does everything (except a foot massage).

ritelec

Yes. for 400 to 500 $.....US...... but, for a brand spanking new unit that can also do back flips.

So instead we could get a 40 to 60 (or more) year old unit and try to fix it and try to keep it running?

Of course, if your replaceing a $5 male connector or wrapping something with tape..Most definitely go for it.

"I" think to sit it buy a wall and visually enjoy it.

Besoeker

Yes. for 400 to 500 $.....US...... but, for a brand spanking new unit that can also do back flips.

So instead we could get a 40 to 60 (or more) year old unit and try to fix it and try to keep it running?

Of course, if your replaceing a $5 male connector or wrapping something with tape..Most definitely go for it.
I'm fitting a new junction box (under two squid) and and the cable with a 5m off-cut Mrs B got free from our usual cable supplier.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Got my tentacles in a wad, you think? :)
Squid is slang for quid which is commonly used slang for the pound sterling.
Thus my junction box was under ?2-00 or about $3.20.

$3.20 ??!!??? Yikes!! If it weren't for shipping, I'd sell you all you want for $2.75 and we'd both be happy! (In my case, very happy.)

ritelec

Funny,,,,,,,,,yep, I thought that's what you meant.

Mrs. B gonna leave you in her will........???

Although I know that's not why your doing it.

(thank you for the memories this sewing machine post brought up...really...)

Besoeker

$3.20 ??!!??? Yikes!! If it weren't for shipping, I'd sell you all you want for $2.75 and we'd both be happy! (In my case, very happy.)
I have a notion we might not be talking about the same thing.
Wiring methods here tend to differ quite a bit from US practices.

Besoeker

Funny,,,,,,,,,yep, I thought that's what you meant.

Mrs. B gonna leave you in her will........???

Although I know that's not why your doing it.

(thank you for the memories this sewing machine post brought up...really...)
I might post a pic when I'm done.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have a notion we might not be talking about the same thing.
Wiring methods here tend to differ quite a bit from US practices.

OK, I'll bite. I think it's a wasted day when I don't learn at least one new thing. This here is your basic RACO model 232, 4 x 4 x 2-1/8.

Attachments

• 0232.jpg
    0232.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.