Attic light on 3way

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Yes, Inside stair-- it is clear in 210.70 as I have said many times.

First they do not meet the definition of stairways.

Second

(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed
for
interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each
floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to
control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between
floor levels has six risers or more.

The attic does not count as a floor or story. So 210.70 does not apply.

It is 'implied' the this section does not apply to pull down stairs.

Also note that the light is for seeing once you are up there NOT for the stairs.

311.5.7 Illumination.

All stairs shall be provided with illumination in accordance with Section 303.6.

303.6 Stairway illumination.

All interior and exterior stairways shall be provided with a means to illuminate the stairs, including the landings and treads. Interior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of each landing of the stairway. For interior stairs the artificial light sources shall be capable of illuminating treads and landings to levels not less than 1 foot-candles (11 lux) measured at the center of treads and landings. Exterior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the top landing of the stairway. Exterior stairways providing access to a basement from the outside grade level shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the bottom landing of the stairway.

aftershock

Switches and lights for stairs are for egress.

If you had a half basment have crawl would you put a 3 way in the crawl? No

I doubt if they (attic stairs) meet the requirements of 311.5 Stairways so a light is only required if that area is designed and can be used for storage or has equipment in it.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st/oh/st/b4v06/st_oh_st_b4v06_3_sec011.htm?bu=OH-P-2011-000004

This attic has equipment and can be used for storage. Its big enough for 2 more bedrooms and a full bath , all while having 10' ceilings.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
This attic has equipment and can be used for storage. Its big enough for 2 more bedrooms and a full bath , all while having 10' ceilings.

I do not know how I missed your first post.

Then yes to 210.70.

Again I must have picked this up late. Or hit my head or who knows what!

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager

In that case I would at least run enough conductors that it could someday be easily converted to a three way switch. The strictest interpretation of code says you must have a switch at top and bottom, other factors may be acceptable to not put in both switches - see what AHJ has to say about it - if AHJ is even involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.