closet lites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What does the code say about spacing of lights in a clothes closet?

Article 410

410.16 Luminaires in Clothes Closets.
(A) Luminaire Types Permitted. Only luminaires of the following types shall be permitted in a closet:
(1) Surface-mounted or recessed incandescent or LED luminaires with completely enclosed light sources
(2) Surface-mounted or recessed fluorescent luminaires
(3) Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires identified
as suitable for installation within the closet storage space (B) Luminaire Types Not Permitted. Incandescent luminaires with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant luminaires or lampholders shall not be permitted.
(C) Location. The minimum clearance between luminaires installed in clothes closets and the nearest point of a closet storage space shall be as follows:
(1) 300 mm (12 in.) for surface-mounted incandescent or LED luminaires with a completely enclosed light source installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling.
(2) 150 mm (6 in.) for surface-mounted fluorescent luminaires installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling.
(3) 150 mm (6 in.) for recessed incandescent or LED luminaires with a completely enclosed light source installed in the wall or the ceiling.
(4) 150 mm (6 in.) for recessed fluorescent luminaires installed in the wall or the ceiling.
(5) Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires shall be permitted to be installed within the closet storage space where identified for this use.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What does the code say about spacing of lights in a clothes closet?
Nothing. The article that Dennis quoted gives you the spacing between a light and a shirt sitting on a shelf. But there is nothing that addresses the spacing between lights. Is that what you were asking?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You don't even need a light in the closet. But if you are installing one then see Dennis' post. #2

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
You sure?
410.16(A) says that certain specific luminaires "shall be permitted" to be installed in a closet. Nothing in the NEC requires that a closet have any lights. I don't know about any possible influence of building codes on this question.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
From my experience yes I am sure. But from your experience I may be wrong.

410.16(A) says that certain specific luminaires "shall be permitted" to be installed in a closet. Nothing in the NEC requires that a closet have any lights. I don't know about any possible influence of building codes on this question.

Basically correct. Ever seen equipment in a clothes closet? Like a well pump? Could be something else but like I said basically correct.

210.70(A)(3).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Nothing. The article that Dennis quoted gives you the spacing between a light and a shirt sitting on a shelf. But there is nothing that addresses the spacing between lights. Is that what you were asking?
You are too literal...:lol: but how else would we have gotten Charlie's rule. I am quite sure the op meant spacing from the storage area, etc.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Basically correct. Ever seen equipment in a clothes closet? Like a well pump? Could be something else but like I said basically correct.

210.70(A)(3).

That is not a clothes closet according to the definition. It may be a equipment room/clothes closet in which case a light may be required.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Ever seen equipment in a clothes closet? 210.70(A)(3).
Ever seen an attic described as a "clothes closet"? Ever seen an underfloor space, a utility room, or a basement being called a "clothes closet"? Or perhaps, as Dennis suggested, I am being too literal. :happyyes:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
That is not a clothes closet according to the definition. It may be a equipment room/clothes closet in which case a light may be required.

Clothes Closet. A non-habitable room or space intended
primarily for storage of garments and apparel.

Are you saying once I install equipment in a closet with clothes it becomes an equipment room or utility room?

I could say 210.70(A)(3) implies all closets. Remember we are debating before you put me in the closet (with no light). LOL

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Clothes Closet. A non-habitable room or space intended
primarily for storage of garments and apparel.

Are you saying once I install equipment in a closet with clothes it becomes an equipment room or utility room?

I could say 210.70(A)(3) implies all closets. Remember we are debating before you put me in the closet (with no light). LOL

Are you saying once I install equipment in a closet with clothes it becomes an equipment room or utility room? No it becomes something other than what the definition of clothes closet is. And it maybe debatable if a light is required or not.

I could say 210.70(A)(3) implies all closets. But 210.70(A)(3) doesn't apply to clothes closets,

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
210.70(A)(3) does not apply to all closets. There are many clothes closets that are built where it would be non compliant to install a light.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Are you saying once I install equipment in a closet with clothes it becomes an equipment room or utility room? No it becomes something other than what the definition of clothes closet is. And it maybe debatable if a light is required or not.

I could say 210.70(A)(3) implies all closets. But 210.70(A)(3) doesn't apply to clothes closets,

And why does it not?

210.70(A)(3) does not apply to all closets. There are many clothes closets that are built where it would be non compliant to install a light.

Agreed.

While not required in a 'clothes' closet one may be required. Will you accept that?

My comment was prompted by (my quotes) "it is NEVER required".

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
And why does it not?
Because we can debate whether or not a closet with clothes and a piece of equipment is a clothes closet or an equipment closet.
Then the AHJ will decide if a light is required or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.