How much would you charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having trouble with this estimate. Just looking for some friendly advice. I am being asked to do a walkthrough of a 7500 sq foot home. Checking the meter pedestal, load centers (2-200amp panels), plug testing every outlet and checking all switches work, code violations etc? And the secon part is to replace all switches in the home. There are 110 switches of a variety of types. SP, 3way, 4way, dimmers,etc I realize they are all differently priced, so Im looking for a per switch install price.

So

1- the safety walkthrough?
2- 110 switches installed (price of switch excluded)?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I am having trouble with this estimate. Just looking for some friendly advice. I am being asked to do a walkthrough of a 7500 sq foot home. Checking the meter pedestal, load centers (2-200amp panels), plug testing every outlet and checking all switches work, code violations etc? And the secon part is to replace all switches in the home. There are 110 switches of a variety of types. SP, 3way, 4way, dimmers,etc I realize they are all differently priced, so Im looking for a per switch install price.

So

1- the safety walkthrough?
2- 110 switches installed (price of switch excluded)?

Quick question, why would you check the switches to see if they work and then replace them?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
However long it will take you to change a device x your hourly rate plus the cost of the device and your markup per device.

or you can do $$$ per device plus the cost of the device and the mark up.

or another way: Example $55 per unit with a minimum of 30 units. (includes the cost of the material)

They had me do the walkthrough first. As I explained about a few of them that were overheating and damaged, he decided to just have them all changed. My time is work 75/hour. I figured in 7 min a switch lol. Thats 8.75 plus the price of the switch to install, and 140 for the walkthrough. (took more then 2 hours) Am I "giving this away"? I kinda feel like I am.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
They had me do the walkthrough first. As I explained about a few of them that were overheating and damaged, he decided to just have them all changed. My time is work 75/hour. I figured in 7 min a switch lol. Thats 8.75 plus the price of the switch to install, and 140 for the walkthrough. (took more then 2 hours) Am I "giving this away"? I kinda feel like I am.

Why is the switch over heating? is the cost of the cost of troubleshooting included in this?

7 minutes per switch includes setup/break down of the job, taking cover plate OFF, checking/redoing the wire connections in the box, installing new switch, installing new cover plate, clean up????

Dimmer switches were being overloaded after being derated. How much time would you figure per switch? Most are side by side. 2 switches per opening. Some have 3, some are solo. how many hours would you figure for 110 switches?

John120/240

Dimmer switches were being overloaded after being derated. How much time would you figure per switch? Most are side by side. 2 switches per opening. Some have 3, some are solo. how many hours would you figure for 110 switches?

My WAG 20 minutes per switch. Some will be real easy others might be a pain. If it's a

sp or 3 way toggle or Decora style & it works what is gained by changing the switch ?

If the man with the check book wants new then so be it.

Its a 2 mil home he just bought. He has every trade there updating and ungrading every aspect of the home. The toilets wiggled and he didnt like the style so he replaced them to give you an example. 20 min per switch? or 20 dollars? Wasnt sure what you meant. that would be 36 hours to complete the job. Im assuming It will take me 2 days but im new at this and havent really timed myself. Was just kinda wanted to see what everyone else has for time on a switch.

cdslotz

The labor rate to install a new switch is .25 (average), or 15 minutes.
To remove, inspect, repair, re-install should be at least .50 or 30 minutes.
I think anymore at $75/hr id going to lose you the job

Thanks. Yea my original thought was 15 min a switch. Seemed like a lot after I added them all together. Like I said most are paired together. So I was trying to justify a half an hour to remove and install 2 switches in a 2 gang opening. 45 min for a 3 gang opening.

GUNNING

Put it in writting.

Put it in writting.

20 Minutes a switch. You have to set up, move, inspect, replace switch. There will be switches that you wont be able to level right away and swtiches and plates that you wont have enough of ( 3 and 4 ways , 2 toggle and a receptacle etc..)
$2Million for a house he isn't worried about the switches. He wants to be pampered and wants to pay for it. He also wants an electrician that knows his house.

Its the quick wired receptacles that I would be worried about or not having GFCI or CAFCI breakers or the receptacles not being Tamper resistant. How valuable is his family and loved ones worth? This is an opportunity to get to know this customer real good.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Its a 2 mil home he just bought. He has every trade there updating and ungrading every aspect of the home. The toilets wiggled and he didnt like the style so he replaced them to give you an example. 20 min per switch? or 20 dollars? Wasnt sure what you meant. that would be 36 hours to complete the job. Im assuming It will take me 2 days but im new at this and havent really timed myself. Was just kinda wanted to see what everyone else has for time on a switch.

Youi just walked perfectly in to my rule of thumb. If you don't have experience with modifying your thinking as an estimator, I was taught and teach. Take your impression of the amount of time it will take, and the double it. That is 32 hours close enough to the 2o minutes switch. If you have all the switches there and you aren't running back and forth to the supply house. So that brings up the next part. Just charge $1.50 per switch regardless of what style, add $.25 if they are Decora, that covers bad switches and the overage you must have to prevent labor eating trips to the Home store. Find out how much a dimmer is in the style he wants and double it. If he thins they are too high, tell him to spend his time running to the store to buy them, and I mean nicely, not nasty like I said it. He will quickly realize the time is more vaulable than the mark up.

guschash

I always figure 20 minutes per switch/receptacle. That's three per hour, I don't see how fast I can change them but I do figure 20 minutes.

Gus

kenaslan

Go for at 30 min/sw then add 15 min per added yoke. Dont forget to bring a hand held dustbuster to vac the floor, even latex gloves so no fingerprints on the new coverplate/wall. Will make you look good to a rich neatnick. He will want you for other things as well that way.

haskindm

You need to charge plenty as you are now going to be held responsible for every electrical problem in this home. If the new switch overheats, it will be your problem. If a breaker trips you are going to be asked, "Why didn't you catch this on the walk-through"? Why did the old switches overheat? Are they just junk or are they overloaded? If they are overloaded and you just change them, you have not fixed the problem. I believe you have just opened yourself up to a ton of liability and you need to be well compensated for doing so. Then you will need to write up a detailed description of everything that you checked and repaired and why you did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.