Covered Copper verses Insulated Copper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What is the difference between Covered and Insulated Copper?
Conductor, Covered. A conductor encased within material
of composition or thickness that is not recognized by this
Code as electrical insulation.

Conductor, Insulated. A conductor encased within material
of composition and thickness that is recognized by this

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Conductor, Covered. A conductor encased within material
of composition or thickness that is not recognized by this

Conductor, Insulated. A conductor encased within material
of composition and thickness that is recognized by this

The conductor that is used on motor winding and transformer winding considered covered or insulated?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The conductor that is used on motor winding and transformer winding considered covered or insulated?
As far as the NEC is concerned, neither... as those wires are not within its purview. The wire would have to be premises wiring before considered one or the other. If you did use that wire for premises wiring, it would be covered conductor.

kbsparky

Consider the structure of SE cable:

Covered wires would be the bare concentric conductor, under the outer sheath

Insulated wires would be the XHHW conductors within the cable assembly.

Here is a picture containing both types:

seu_copper.gif

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
What is the difference between Covered and Insulated Copper?

Quite simply, one is to protect the outside from the inside (insulated), the other is to protect the inside from the outside(covered).

In my day job, we use a lot of covered conductor for 25 kV installs. It isn't insulated for that voltage, but it will charge a squirell enough to make him leave without arcing over and knocking the line out. Also works well for tight rights of ways. I wouldn't grab a covered conductor barehanded.

An insulated conductor is just that, insulated. People grab insulated conductors frequently.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Consider the structure of SE cable:

Covered wires would be the bare concentric conductor, under the outer sheath

Insulated wires would be the XHHW conductors within the cable assembly.

Here is a picture containing both types:

View attachment 7370
Actually, the NEC recognizes Type SE cable... so all the conductors are considered insulated... until the jacket is removed inside the terminal enclosure. And then they are just bare and insulated... no covered conductors. :D

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Actually, the NEC recognizes Type SE cable... so all the conductors are considered insulated... until the jacket is removed inside the terminal enclosure. And then they are just bare and insulated... no covered conductors. :D
Are you sure?
338.100 ...Type SE or USE cable containing two or more conductors shall be permitted to have one conductor uninsulated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Are you sure?
As far as the "uninsulated" conductor not being a covered conductor, yes.

The definition states encased within material of composition or thickness that is not recognized by this Code as electrical insulation. TTBOMK, the uninsulated conductor of Type SE is a bare conductor, i.e. not encased in any material. And if we consider the entire cable assembly, the outer covering is recognized. 338.2 states "Type SE. Service-entrance cable having a flame-retardant, moisture-resistant covering."

Perhaps saying all conductors are considered insulated was in error... but riddle me this: What is being referred to in Table 400.4 Type Letter SE? I've searched the web for SE "cord" and "cable" other than the standard Type SE Service-Entrance Cable, and I can't find any.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The definition states encased within material of composition or thickness that is not recognized by this Code as electrical insulation. TTBOMK, the uninsulated conductor of Type SE is a bare conductor, i.e. not encased in any material. And if we consider the entire cable assembly, the outer covering is recognized. 338.2 states "Type SE. Service-entrance cable having a flame-retardant, moisture-resistant covering."

The bare conductor in the SE cable assembly is "covered" by the outer jacket of the cable. Does "encased" mean that the covering can only be around a single conductor? I don't think so. The outer jacket is not recognized as a conductor insulator and it encases the bare conductor along with the insulated conductors.
As far as the SE cord, look here.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The bare conductor in the SE cable assembly is "covered" by the outer jacket of the cable.
I agree.

Does "encased" mean that the covering can only be around a single conductor? I don't think so.
I agree for the most part... but if we view the term 'encased' in the same context for both conductor, covered and conductor, insulated definitions (and I believe we should), I'm sure you can see that we can't have more than one conductor "encased" by an overall insulating jacket and still call each conductor insulated... :happyno::slaphead:

The outer jacket is not recognized as a conductor insulator and it encases the bare conductor along with the insulated conductors.
I didn't say the outer jacket is recognized as insulation... and the definitions do not directly stipulate insulation properties either. The definitions just say of a material and composition recognized by this Code (another fine example of the Code being indirect). The overall jacket of Type SE is recognized by Code, as 338.2 stipulates it must have a flame-retardant, moisture-resistant covering.

As far as the SE cord, look here.
I ran across that document in my search. Consider the source. How is it any more authoritative than my statements? Additionally, Table 400.4 does not distinguish between cable and cord types. Can you find any physical cable or cord that is type SE which is not Article 338 Type SE cable?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I didn't say the outer jacket is recognized as insulation... and the definitions do not directly stipulate insulation properties either. The definitions just say of a material and composition recognized by this Code (another fine example of the Code being indirect). The overall jacket of Type SE is recognized by Code, as 338.2 stipulates it must have a flame-retardant, moisture-resistant covering. ...
I refer you to the defintion of covered that you posted in post #2.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...I ran across that document in my search. Consider the source. How is it any more authoritative than my statements? Additionally, Table 400.4 does not distinguish between cable and cord types. Can you find any physical cable or cord that is type SE which is not Article 338 Type SE cable?
UL says Belden has a listing for SE flexible cords. I did not find a type SE cord on their site, but did not spend a lot of time looking. I also stopped looking in the UL database when I found that Belden has a listing for SE. I would expect that their are other companies that do too. I have never seen SE flexible cord, but that does not mean that it does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.