Something to fix or not, oil based paint + electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I put up a load center a week ago but prior to this I painted a piece of plywood (To mount the panel on) with oil based paint. I thought it was water based until I slapped the first splash of it on. I read the can and it didn't have any flammable warnings on it, at least not having a reference to flammability once dried. It even said it was okay to use on children's toys. I have to go back to this job next week, should I bother painting over it with water based stuff or don't even worry about it?

GerryB

Is their an actual code about painting the board? The few times recently I needed to add a plywood board I did not paint them and they were passed no question. I have removed old panels and seen them not painted behind the panel. One inspector did make me add wood below the existing because the new 200 amp panel extended below the existing board and the bottom mounting hole had nothing behind it. (He actually told the HO if there was an arc or something a flame could shoot out the hole and ignite something).

stickboy1375

Is their an actual code about painting the board? The few times recently I needed to add a plywood board I did not paint them and they were passed no question. I have removed old panels and seen them not painted behind the panel. One inspector did make me add wood below the existing because the new 200 amp panel extended below the existing board and the bottom mounting hole had nothing behind it. (He actually told the HO if there was an arc or something a flame could shoot out the hole and ignite something).

Seriously?

iMuse97

Good thing the inspector caught that. ...and told you to mount a combustible material behind that hole. That way the flame will have an "approved" (by the AHJ) target to shoot at. ;)

And to OP, I suppor the position state above that paint is paint after it dries. No problem.

As to whether there is a code on painting the board, I've always painted the side of the board (whether 2x4s or plywood) in contact with a concrete or masonry surface to keep it from absorbing moisture, which is a possible problem in this local climate. Inspectors typically required this around here.

Last edited:

GerryB

Good thing the inspector caught that. ...and told you to mount a combustible material behind that hole. That way the flame will have an "approved" (by the AHJ) target to shoot at. ;)

And to OP, I suppor the position state above that paint is paint after it dries. No problem.

As to whether there is a code on painting the board, I've always painted the side of the board (whether 2x4s or plywood) in contact with a concrete or masonry surface to keep it from absorbing moisture, which is a possible problem in this local climate. Inspectors typically required this around here.

I thought the same thing. Funny thing is this EI is someone I like who actually is an electrician. So my next service in a different town was the same and thinking ahead I put a 1/4-20 nut bolt and washer in the exposed hole. This inspector said nothing about that but made me change the sheetrock screws I used to mount the panel to something coated. Can't win. Good thought about painting the back of the board, I can see that.

stickboy1375

I thought the same thing. Funny thing is this EI is someone I like who actually is an electrician. So my next service in a different town was the same and thinking ahead I put a 1/4-20 nut bolt and washer in the exposed hole. This inspector said nothing about that but made me change the sheetrock screws I used to mount the panel to something coated. Can't win. Good thought about painting the back of the board, I can see that.

I use pressure treated plywood if I'm securing it directly to concrete.

cadpoint

I don't usually get involved in residental?

Where does this requirement come from to even require this wood between panel and a finished surfaced?

Is there standing state building codes that require this application of requiring a wood panel placed on a type of wall verses another type?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I don't usually get involved in residental?

Where does this requirement come from to even require this wood between panel and a finished surfaced?

Is there standing state building codes that require this application of requiring a wood panel placed on a type of wall verses another type?

312.2 Damp and Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations,
surface-type enclosures within the scope of this article
shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture
or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet
or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least
6-mm (1⁄4-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall
or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet locations
shall be weatherproof. For enclosures in wet locations,
raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated
live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.

stickboy1375

312.2 Damp and Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations,
surface-type enclosures within the scope of this article
shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture
or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet
or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least
6-mm (1⁄4-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall
or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet locations
shall be weatherproof. For enclosures in wet locations,
raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated
live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.

As a side note, every panel comes with 1/4" bumps on the back of them, so plywood is not required, we just do it to make it an easier installation.
photo-19.jpg

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
As a side note, every panel comes with 1/4" bumps on the back of them, so plywood is not required, we just do it to make it an easier installation.

As a side note, every panel comes with 1/4" bumps on the back of them, so plywood is not required, we just do it to make it an easier installation. QUOTE]

Agree.

And how are you attaching/securing the panel? The "bumps" are part of the panel.

And since you 'know' this to be true would you please show the inspector this?

GerryB

Hey Stick, Their killing ya. I might as well join the fun. Is that "bundling" you got going on there the side of that panel?:D Electricians are like the Vonage commercial, "We All Bundle";)

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Why is this cover put on backwards? Just wondering! :happysad:

AFAIK, it is in the correct orientation. In fact the panel can be mounted either side up or down. Obviously the orientation of the breakers must be kept in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.