peninsula outles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujitsu_masta

I have a kitchen to wire that includes a peninsula. The peninsula is longer than 24" and wider than 12" so I need an outlet. One side has an overhang of more than 6" so I can't put an outlet on that side. the end and opposite side are covered with cabinet doors so no outlets can go on those sides either. The peninsula is flat the whole way across and there is no means to install an outlet above. would it sufice to put outlets on the wall where the peninsula attaches? What's a guy to do?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is he peninsula a stand alone piece or does it attach to other cabinets at the wall? If it is not stand alone then there is no question that the one at the wall is not enough.

This is where the cabinet maker is in for a rude awakening and it is why I meet with them prior to there building a cabinet so I can tell them what code requires.

kwired

Electron manager
I will say that in some case if the peninsula is attached to the wall in one side an outlet there will cover the reqirement!!!

If it is not attached it is not a peninsula it is an island.

Does the rules for peninsulas and islands start at the wall or at the start of the peninsula which I would think is at the point of deflection from the cabinets installed along the wall putting the start of the peninsula roughly 2 feet from the wall in most cases. Just some food for thought I really don't know the correct answer.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Does the rules for peninsulas and islands start at the wall or at the start of the peninsula which I would think is at the point of deflection from the cabinets installed along the wall putting the start of the peninsula roughly 2 feet from the wall in most cases. Just some food for thought I really don't know the correct answer.

210.52(C)(3) states the peninsula starts at the connecting edge. IMO, that means the 2' of cabinet on the wall is the wall cabinet and the peninsula starts at the connecting edge to this cabinet

jumper

210.52(C)(3)

A peninsular
countertop is measured from the connecting edge.

1099601197_2-1.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks Dennis and Jumper, confirms what I suspected.

Where there has been too much overhang at edge of cabinet I have in past run Wiremold to a box on underside of counter top near the edge with the receptacle face down and had no problems with that. Certainly is more appealing to the HO than a poke thru device or a pendant receptacle:happyyes:

DARUSA

As you can see on the pictures there is two different situation here.
one peninsula have a connection edge with the wall cabinets in this case an outlet at the peninsula is required but the other pic shows a penninsula with no connection edge to a cabinet,the connection edge is to the wall and in that case an outlet on the wall will meet the requirement.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 0

DARUSA

StripDesigner strip 2.jpg

Here is picture of a peninsula attached to de wall that can't be considered as an island.
In the same time the connection edge is to the wall not to other cabinet.Thx

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is picture of a peninsula attached to de wall that can't be considered as an island.

Are you trying to start another war. My contention is that this interpretation makes no sense. Why would one be needed on the peninsula in one situation and not on the other? It is the same thing only in one situation there is a counter at 90? to the peninsula. I was the lone wolf on this one.

Lone-Wolf-Glow-in-the-Dark_3212-l.jpg

DARUSA

Are you trying to start another war. My contention is that this interpretation makes no sense. Why would one be needed on the peninsula in one situation and not on the other? It is the same thing only in one situation there is a counter at 90? to the peninsula. I was the lone wolf on this one.

Lone-Wolf-Glow-in-the-Dark_3212-l.jpg

no Dennis no war please!!! I just trying to show that the connection edge can be different in the situations that I pointed before.
In one case an outlet on the wall can cover the peninsula requirement in other case an outlet on the wall need to cover the counter top SA requirements.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
no Dennis no war please!!! I just trying to show that the connection edge can be different in the situations that I pointed before.
In one case an outlet on the wall can cover the peninsula requirement in other case an outlet on the wall need to cover the counter top SA requirements.

I understand-- just kidding because the other thread went on and on. My feeling is the wall one covers the same amount of space in both situation but another is added in one scenario. Doesn't make sense to me

jumper

Actually Dennis, I agreed with you back in that thread. We were a minority.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=125532

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis were is your connecting edge here?
Exactly.... One could say the first 2' is the base and the rest the connecting edge but obviously the wall is. My point is if the wall one suffices for the peninsula where it is stand alone then why shouldn't it suffice when there is a cabinet connected to it. The length of the peninsula could be the same but in one case the peninsula needs it but not the other when in fact there is no difference in function.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
What I have done before in that situation is install plug mold just below the countertop, it's narrow enough to mount between the doors if there in the way, and the bottom edge of the countertop.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
210.52(C)(3) states the peninsula starts at the connecting edge. IMO, that means the 2' of cabinet on the wall is the wall cabinet and the peninsula starts at the connecting edge to this cabinet

Agree and correct.

View attachment 7386

None required, Looks like furniture to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.