Service Entrance Conductors Becoming a Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I have meter socket in the middle of a yard with no disconnect, service entrance conductors continue on to a panel in the dwelling. I want to feed an out building from the same service point and since I can't double lug the existing meter socket, I feel I have two options. The first being replacing the existing socket with a 320A version that I can double lug on the load side to feed both structures. The second option would be a pedestal with a 200A main for the dwelling and a 100A breaker feeding the out building. In this case, the existing service entrance conductors to the dwelling would become a 3 wire feeder. The run is about 400' so installing a 4 wire feeder would be cost prohibitive. Since there are no parallel paths between the dwelling and the pedestal, would this be acceptable?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
You posted 2 threads on this. In the other one kwired mentioned that since it is existing, you may be able to use the exception.

I would ask inspector.

Yea, I don't know whats up with the thread posting twice:?.

Sounds like the feeder would be acceptable given the wording of the exception in 250.32(B):)

Third option is to put a J-box under/next to the meter and tap the service conductors - as long as the calculated load of both buildings doesn't exceed the meter socket rating. Probably cheaper and easier then getting a class 320 socket and no need to get a disconnect/reconnect from the utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.