Tamper Resistant Receps - above counter top

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana1028

Do receptacles in appliance garages and cabinets above the counter top [microwave] need to be tamper resistant? Looking at 210.52 - doesn't spell those out as mandatory receptacle locations....thus, not covered by TR?

JDB3

Do receptacles in appliance garages and cabinets above the counter top [microwave] need to be tamper resistant? Looking at 210.52 - doesn't spell those out as mandatory receptacle locations....thus, not covered by TR?

I think that somewhere it says above 5 1/2 feet, they are not required & where a not easily moved appliance is in front of them. I normally put them everywhere, small price difference & I don't have to worry about putting a non-TR in the wrong place. :happyyes:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

I think that somewhere it says above 5 1/2 feet, they are not required & where a not easily moved appliance is in front of them. I normally put them everywhere, small price difference & I don't have to worry about putting a non-TR in the wrong place. :happyyes:

Take a look at 406.11 and then drop back to 210.8.(2)

ceb58

406.12 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles for Dwelling Units.​
In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listedtamper-resistant receptacles.​
Exception: Receptacles in the following locations shallnot be required to be tamper-resistant:(1) Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (5​
12 ft) above the
floor.

(2) Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.(3) A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two applianceslocated within dedicated space for each appliancethat, in normal use, is not easily moved from oneplace to another and that is cord-and-plug connectedin accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8).(4) Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as​
permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a).

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
As far as i can tell, Those receptacles are regular TR receptacles they are not specifically designed to be a floor receptacle.

You are correct. Now read this from the first link.

18 cu. in steel back box.Solid brass cover.Gasket and threaded brass closure cap with watertight neoprene rubber ?O? ring.Tamper Resistant shutters provide compliance with 2011 NEC? Article 406.12 that states that all receptacles installed in dwelling units must be tamper resistant.Double-wipe ground contacts ensure long-term ground retention.Tri-combo screws accept Slotted-, Phillips-, and Robertson-head tools for installation flexibility.

I guess I could have a locked room and claim compliance! :lol:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Please explain what is a"floor receptacle". Never seen one myself.;)

I assumed that the box and cover package, UL listed, determines suitability for the install. :?

Jumper and edward-
Some types of floor receps take their own special recep 'cause the strap is custom for the box. Pretty popular around here, but I'm not real fond of them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As far as i can tell, Those receptacles are regular TR receptacles they are not specifically designed to be a floor receptacle.

A floor receptacle usually has a device with a strap that offsets back into the box. The one in the picture looks like that as it keeps the device recessed so the plug doesn't stick way out. Clock receptacles use the same device.

I don't believe the one pictured is a standard receptacle and it does not matter - as others have said- as long as the unit is listed as a floor recep.

Status
Not open for further replies.